3rd International Conference on Direct Democracy, Prague, Sept. 16-18, 2005
Another report by Filia
First day, Friday, Sept. 16
Conference has started in the late afternoon as planned with a get-together dinner and
mutual exchange of materials and proposals to be discussed during the conference proceedings.
- Jiri Polak, Sweden/Czechia
- Filia den Hollander, Netherlands
- George Kokkas, Greece
- Lee Gottlieb, USA
- Josef Hromadko, Czechia
- Lubor Karlik, Czechia
- Heiko Dittmer, Belgium/Germany
- Domitila Barbolla, Spain
- Leopoldo Salgui, Spain
- Miroslav Kolar, Canada/Czechia
A few photos from the first day:
Second day, Sept. 17
- 9:00am - 12:30am
- Presentation and discussion of eight different models of Future Democracy
(by Mohssen Massarrat, George Sagi, Jaroslav Koci, Michael N. Mautner, Jiri Polak, Bernard Clayson,
Lee Gottlieb, Ted Becker, George Kokkas).
Discussion on structured Citizen Deliberation: Citizen Juries, Planning Cells and Human and virtual
communities of common interest.
- 14:30pm - 17:45pm
- DD progress in various countries:
Leopoldo: Spain (video clip 2.9MB)
George: Greece (video clip 5.2MB)
Mirek: Canada and other territories (Russia)
Lee: USA; also presenting his proposal for a new International Organization to promote DD
- 18:30pm - 21:00pm
- Working group on the future of the WDDM:
Preparation of the proposal to establish a WDDM Educational Organization.
Second day participants:
Jiri, Mirek, Lee, Filia, George, Heiko, Josef, Leopoldo
A few more photos:
Good working atmosphere, feeling of progress being done.
Third day, Sept. 18
- 9:00am - 11:15am
- Filia: Citizen's Constitution for EU
Discussion, including the French Model of the last WDD Newsletter. It was decided (i) to dedicate
a WDDM page to collect input for alternative People's EU Constitution, and (ii) to organize an EU café.
- 11:30am - 1pm
- Plenary discussion of the present WDDM members of the previous evening working group proposal
to establish a WDDM Educational Organization. No clear consensus was achieved on this issue in the
short time available. It was decided to continue the discussion on this subject on the Internet on the WDDM site (Wiki).
Participants: the same as on the previous day plus Domitila Barbolla (Spain) and Jan Samohyl (Czechia).
Afternoon program: organized by the Czech Movement
for DD (HzPD), in Czech.
- 14:10pm - 15:00pm
- Presentation and discussion of HzPD's draft of the Czech Citizen's Constitution.
- 15:10pm - 18:30pm
- Presentation by the coordinating committee for the founding of a new Czech political party
DEMOKRACIE, the program of which is to introduce Direct Democracy in the Czech Republic.