00633: Re: A proposal put for vote to all WDDM members

From: Steve Magruder <steve(at)stevemagruder.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:01:33 -0400
Subject: Re: A proposal put for vote to all WDDM members

Greetings all...

I would vote "No" for the proposal as currently written.

I am certainly open to creating rules for this organization, but it
seems to me that WDDM could borrow some ideas from other organizations,
such as Wikipedia. In the Wikipedia, proposals are drafted by the
community before a vote is taken. And usually, this drafting and review
process takes several weeks or so before the vote.

I would much prefer that any member can vote on Operating Rules or
Constitution. And as with constitutional changes in representative
democracies, I think a supermajority (a near consensus) of votes should
be required for passage of these kind of changes.

I would also prefer to see something included that there are security
mechanisms to ensure "one member, one vote". Perhaps require each
member to have a mailing address to which a personal voting ID is sent,
which is then used in the voting process. That's just an idea.

Last, the bifurcation between administrators and associates is
ultimately undemocratic. I imagine that this organization needs a few
technical administrators, but that's probably very different from how
"administrator" is currently defined.

The bottom line is that while I would like to see rules developed that
help this organization succeed, this current batch doesn't work for me.

Regards,
Steve