00239: Re: Mondragón

From: richard(at)cyberjournal.org
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:34:34 +0100
Subject: Re: Mondragón

14/05/2005, Doug Everingham wrote:
This suggests to me that you are impressed by the magnificent example of
the Mondragón Co-operative Corporation

Doug, thanks for the references.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a syllabus, or at least Recommended Reading items, on our website. One book I would recommend, which I'm currently reading, is "Participatory Democracy: Prospects for Democratizing Democracy" (new edition), Roussopoulos, Benello, eds., Black Rose Books, 2005. An anthology, it includes a wide range of contributions, bringing in the main historical threads of democratic thinking and initiatives. Published first in the 1970s as part of the New Left movement, the new edition incorporates subsequent developments.

Personally, given any problem, I'm always torn between the impulse to invent a new solution and the duty-felt need to research to see if anyone else has already solved it. I hate academic groups, where invention is eschewed in preference to endless commenting on what's-been-published. I like Antonio's inventive energy here, for example, but we might also benefit from more attention to thinking that has preceded us.

best regards,
rkm
http://cyberjournal.org