00240: Participative Budgets and the Mondragon experience

From: Leopoldo Salgui <lsalgui(at)demopunk.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:42:18 +0200
Subject: Participative Budgets and the Mondragon experience

Dear Doug,
thanks for introducing the Mondragon's experience before the WDDM and the
other forums

Formally, the Mondragon's experience is not an example of Participative
Budgets which are oriented mainly to the municipal scope. Mondragon (in the
Basque country, in the North of Spain) is a significant experience on
Participative Economics, which is a wide area where innovative democracy
concepts could grow.

Let me to submit a few thoughts. Initiative&Referendum, i.e. the classic form
of Direct Democracy, are still unknown (or adulterated) Political Freedoom is
the vast majority of our countries. This is because we are looking forward to
promoting them among our societies, and, for instance, we are carrying out
trojan initiatives in Spanish before the Supreme Court to defense the concept
of the referendum assaulted by the Spanish Government during the last
plebiscite on the so-called European Constitution.
http://www.demopunk.net/en/intern/europe/pcon_index_en.html#INFO20F

However, in Europe, USA and wherever the liberal democracy is hegemonic
(perhaps, the complete world?) the activism for I&R is lacking for a serious
criticism on the inherent defects of the DD which has been already uncovered
by the present experience in Swiss or USA. It is evident the lobbies are
being the main users of the DD's freedoms meanwhile the people is rejecting
its use as reflected by the low turnouts.

Participative Democracy (PD) is an emerging area, mainly from Latin American.
It is not a mature area, i.e. it cannot define clear procedures in contrast
of older democracy procedures as representative's elections or I&R
procedures, however PD is trying to address wide areas where the Constituent
Power of the crowd is clearly usurped by the elites (supposedly democrats
elites).

I would like to promote such ideas in the WDDM's community, by introducing
several facts and experiences. I encourage WDDM's members to submit
experiences of PD from wherever.

Regards, Leo

El Sábado, 14 de Mayo de 2005 03:22, Doug Everingham escribió:
Dear Leo and friends,

I note your claim below: "Spain is being the gateway into
Europe of this procedure of Participative Democracy."

This suggests to me that you are impressed by the magnificent example of
the Mondragón Co-operative Corporation which has grown steadily, first
in the north of Spain, to include tens of thousands of participants.
They are
networking (with cross-liaison among related services and adjoining
levels
of administration) to supply a wide range of services. Each participant
('stakeholder') in each process and project there has maximum
opportunity to contribute to the decision making. They have an
excellent
competitive record in nearly all aspects. This is well documented by Dr
Shann Turnbull, Principal,
International Institute for Self-governance,
http://ssrn.com/author=26239
I can e-mail on request a copy of his 80-pages 2002 pocket-book
'A New Way to Govern -- Organisations and society after Enron'.
A similar initiative in the Netherlands is documented by the
Sociocratisch Centrum http://www.sociocracy.biz
I look forward to your report on Participative Budgets.
-- Doug Everingham
Queensland state co-ordinator for ISPO
(International Simultaneous Policy Organisation www.simpol.org ]
===============================>
Leopoldo Salgui <lsalgui(at)demopunk.net> wrote on May 8, 2005
To: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net, Democracy Europe
<democracy-europe(at)yahoogroups.com>, teameuropechat(at)yahoogroups.com
Subject: Ale hop ... and Participative Budgets

Dear friends,
I beg your pardon to delay my contributions to the WDDM's workshop on
Monitoring Democracy and my poor support of the TEAM's activities.

During last weeks we have been hardly working at a comprehensive report
on the
governmental propaganda activities during the Spanish plebiscite. The
Spanish
version can be downloaded from
http://www.demopunk.net/sp/intern/europe/pcon_index_sp.html#INFO20F

However the English version is still an incomplete (but available) work
http://www.demopunk.net/en/intern/europe/pcon_index_en.html#INFO20F
because the Spanish Supreme Court has just required us to formalize our
lawsuit against the electoral authorities due to relinquishment of
functions.
I will keep you informed on this affair.

On the other side, I am trying to fulfil a petition from Mirek Kolar to
keep
you informed on the Participative Budgets in Spain. This month the
Spanish
magazine "El Viejo Topo" publishes a report on the 1-year experience of
the
Participative Budgets in Seville. [I am in charge of the section Europe
of
the magazine]

Seville is a big city in the South of Spain (over 2 millions of
inhabitants).
I am trying to get the electronic copy of the report and to get in
touch its
author with the European democracy activism. Spain is being the gateway
into
Europe of this procedure of Participative Democracy.
http://www.demopunk.net/sp/sp/direct/porto/pp.html

Regards, Leo