02770: Re: [WDDM] Economics and Change

From: Joseph Hammer <parrhesiajoe(at)gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:46:05 -0800
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Economics and Change

I agree on the DD part :)

I favor the free alternative to solve these issues. Go to a 100% reserve, as the Binary theory desires.

We can require that people pay taxes, but we can be democratic about the dispersal. Let people control their own tax money, to direct it where they please.

Let's say we set the rate at 10%. About a quarter of that is necessary expense, required to fund what we determine democratically to be necessary services, such as police, fire and military. Let the other three quarters of your taxes be distributed however you wish. I have friends that would give it entirely to planned parenthood, and others that would fund science education. My last girlfriend would have funded child welfare... My current girlfriend would fund no interest loans to developing countries.

Myself, I would invest in electron reduction research in a palladium lattice. I'm banking on free energy from squeezing a photon out of an electron (weird, right). Sincerely, I believe that is the best place for my tax dollars to go... for the children, for the environment, for the dolphins.

Anyone seeking to start a new enterprise can ask the country or some local neighbors to invest in his or her enterprise. We will collect the proposals and allow people to support any program they wish... all voluntarily. This will result in the same sort of disbursement that we currently have, but more targetted, more free, and more competitive. You will still see a significant portion of our money go to schools, welfare and defense, and it will be a proportion completely determined by the public.

We can fund zero interest loans freely... or not. If people like the idea, I would support it. Hell, if people were 75% in favor of keeping fiat money and central banking... I would support that, too... but it is theft, and so a 50% majority is not enough. If we want to go to war... steal... default on loans... restrict any form of speech... we need to have a pretty high concensus for it. But, if we get that concensus, we should go for it... make our mistakes or achieve our greatest triumphs.

Einstein said you should make a system as simple as possible, but no simpler. I'm with Hoppe in thinking that there is something seriously wrong with Democracy (the god that failed ;P), but I think it's just two little fixable things. 1. 50% majorities aren't strong enough to effectively implement any strategy, and 2. Representative systems are corruptable, and therefore, nearly always corrupt (over time, and we've had PLENTY of time). The simplest system is only now possible, in the age of Facebook. The coordination problem that government solves is not needed any more. People who drive on roads can pay for the roads they drive on. People who drive more can pay more. People who walk can pay nothing. If you frequent the parks, you must pay for their maintenance. If you ride the bus, you pay what it costs to transport your ass... and then we'll have BULLET TRAINS sooner... because people won't willingly invest in those godaweful busses.

DD ftw.

P.S. I might throw some money at a 0% interest program, but I'd like there to be many of them. I'd like for them to compete to try to convince me that they are the most benevolent, the most trustworthy and the most efficient. If you only have one, it will do as all monopolies do... fester and harm.

Pj
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:12 PM, <Joshua N Pritikin> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 03:08:09PM -0800, Joseph Hammer wrote:
> Political decisions are never fair. They are political.

Then that's the first problem to solve. Without a trustworthy
government, no monetary system can work as intended.

That's why we need some kind of deliberative direct democracy.

--
American? Join the effort toward National Initiative, http://ni4d.us