02274: Hello ...

From: Bill(at)Politicalpsychologyresearch.com
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 02:09:28 -0400
Subject: Hello ...

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 08:17:34 -0700
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Hello as a new member.
From: William McConochie
To: <wddm@world-wide-democracy.net>

Dear Lata:
    Thank you very much for your kind and supportive letter.  My main objective in participating in organizations such as WDDM and PJSA is to network with persons who are interested in either practical solutions to political problems such as warmongering and overpopulation or who are interested in and able to help with research studies.
    Regarding practical solutions, I have been a clinical and industrial/organizational psychologist for 40 years and have learned how to find practical tools for solving problems, including batteries of tests for screening job applicants to reduce motor vehicle accidents in the trucking industry.  I have reliable and valid instruments for measuring violence proneness in teens and adults, I.Q. tests administered over the Internet (via FunEducation.com) and normed on over 100,000 children from around the world, and rating scales for measuring warmongering-proneness and constructive leadership attitudes in political and historical figures.  I have designed a model for a political party that would serve citizens as members of the community overall versus as members of special interest groups, as only about 20% of Americans endorse the latter while 90% typically endorse the former.
    I have found that peace activists are often very opinionated and not infrequently quite hostile people.  To try to understand this I have designed a research study, which is on my web site.  I am seeking research subjects for it now.   It is designed to clarify the psychology of social and political activism.   I have a little data thus far, which is most interesting.  For example, having a parent who was an activist may strongly foster a negative and destructive worldview in oneself!
    I have several other studies of relevance to peace advocacy, awaiting subjects.  One will explore the relationship between humilation experiences and subsequent worldviews, warmongering endorsement, etc.  Another will explore about 68 psychological facets of liberal and conservative political worldviews.  This latter study involves three separate questionnaires totaling over 800 items...a monster... but I've done another such study successfully, so I know it can be done.
    I have learned that scientists and activists frequently  challenge and argue each others' ideas, so I'm comfortable with that.  I've also learned that the best way to resolve conflicting opinions is with more research, which I have found rather easy to do with questionnaires.
    I am very encouraged by my research findings, as they seem to clarify and focus political/psychological issues, which are quite complex and multifaceted, I have found.  The clarifications often help focus practical efforts or models for solving major politcal problems, showing which routes are likely to be dead ends and which are likely to yield the most for one's efforts.
    So, in closing, thanks again.  If you are a professor or involved with other groups (e.g. church groups), I'd love to discuss with you how we might collaborate in research.  I am in private practice, so finding subjects is a constant challenge.  I'm exploring teaching at our local community college in their peace studies program as one way to address this.  But finances are a challenge.  I work at present for the Social Secuity Administration doing evaluations.  It pays well but takes time.  I'd love to spend 60 hours a week just on research and teaching, as I think I have much to offer.  I'm 70 years old and hope to go to 95, but I'm realistic, knowing I my have only 10 "good-brain" years left.
    Best regards, Bill McConochie.