01987: RE: [WDDM] Re: Hellenic DD / EUROVISION RULES 1

From: "Jim Powell" <autoinfo(at)acenet.co.za>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 16:13:01 +0200
Subject: RE: [WDDM] Re: Hellenic DD / EUROVISION RULES 1

Hi All,

WDDM has been useful to me to exchange ideas and firm up the terms and ideas
of direct democracy.

I have recently joined the Democratic Alliance as the most democratically
minded party in South Africa.

The following resolution was passed at the Alexandra/Wendywood branch in
Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa:

Motion by the Alex/Wendywood DA Branch:

The Regional Management Committee of Gauteng South noting that:

1. The proportional system implemented at National, Provincial and Local
Government (excluding wards), promotes allegiance of public
representatives to their political parties and not to the voters.

2. Voters should have the right to recall all politicians before the end of
their 5 year term, not only those attached to a ward.

3. Voters should have the right via referenda to initiate or change
legislation.

Therefore resolves:

1. That the DA actively promotes a system whereby all public
representatives are directly elected by a Constituency or Ward.

2. That the policy making organs of the DA investigate the practical
application of the principles of Direct Democracy and Recall.

3. That the policy making organs of the DA investigate the possibility of
introducing the principles of Direct Democracy and Recall into the DA
Manifesto for the 2009 election.

I have realised that it is all but impossible to change a system from
without when there is not a war.

Politicians are the employees of the voters as the choose who gets employed
and voters pay the politicians salaries

Regards

Jim Powell

*From:* Giuseppe Strano
*To:* tobuz ; Kevin Lone
<kevin.lone(at)wanadoo.fr> ; Antonio Rossin
<rossin(at)tin.it> ; George Kokkas <geoko(at)otenet.gr> ;
jiri..polak <jiri.polak(at)swipnet.se>
*Sent:* Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:13 PM
*Subject:* Re: Hellenic DD / EUROVISION RULES 1

1) I don't agree with rules 1 and 2.

2) I never liked rules establish primary or special roles for
founding members, especially when the new members coming in a
second time should have less power than the founders.

3) Founding an international network of dd people and orgs is a
very good thing, maybe a must for the growth of all the dd
movement. But only if the rules are themselves dd rules. I already
done big errors in the past sayng yes at "provisional" rules not
dd for the sake of unity, or other "pragmatical" needs or under
pressure of lack of time. So if these are the initial set of rules
of this DD-eurovision I'm sorry but I will let you continue
without me.

The means by wich we build the direct democracy are crucial ones.
We cannot build democracy forgetting it.

4) I understand that maybe someone of you is thinking about next
european elections, but I cannot be able to see how such not dd
network (indeed it seems to me only an electoral trick), could be
useful for a real step toward a better spreading of dd ideas.

Regards,

(as usual sorry for my "english".)
Pino strano.