01393: Re: [WDDM] Simpol and True Democracy

From: Antonio Rossin <rossin(at)tin.it>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:13:16 +0200
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Simpol and True Democracy

I guess, if we the WDDM staff had to facilitate people to originate
their own policies locally from bottom-up, it is a good that the staff
has no power to do anything from top-down.

Bests

antonio

Bruce Eggum ha scritto:

Dear PVR and all,

PVR you have many good points. I especially like the www.myverdict.net
<http://www.myverdict.net/> site. This fills the function that people
can bring their concerns, initiatives, proposals to the world for
consideration. I can also post to the USA, Wisconsin and Shawano
County. This is a tremendous achievement.

Using this as a "beginning" we could recruit people who would
hopefully join and contribute their ideas and thoughts locally.

But! There is no power to do anything.

(remaining Bruce's deleted)

On 1 Aug 2007 13:57:30 -0000, *Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan*
<vijayaraghavan.p(at)rediffmail.com> wrote:

Dear Antonio and all,
I have indicated in the course of several of my posts how a
conscience-based political system can be ushered in. In fact WDDM
has helped in improvising the original plan I have mentioned in my
blog: http://musingsonpartylessdemocracy.blogspot.com . But let me
update and summarize here what I have in mind:

1) The model of Roy Baine's www.myverdict.net
<http://www.myverdict.net> is a good starting point. He has
painstakingly collected names of about 140 countries, the primary
divisions (states) of each of these countries and the secondary
divisions of each of these primary divisions. Any person on earth
belonging to one of these localities can thus express himself
regarding matters concerning his/her area. I would suggest that we
prepare a similar list but the names should be that of the
constituencies at the state, district and sub-district levels so
that the views expressed by voters of a particular constituency
can consolidate and pave the way for action at the local level,
either directly or through pressure exerted on the elected
representative of that constituency (in terms of the prospects of
him getting reelected or recalled if such a law is eventually
passed). An example of exerting pressure of similar nature being
already tried is given in the following link:
http://www.alliance21.org/2003/article.php3?id_article=2455

Thus WDDM can be a platform for people to make their voice heard.
The members who register themselves at WDDM can express on what
they they would like to see happening with respect to their
locality/state/nation on issues that concern them. Similarly they
can express dissatisfaction on issues that affect them. Thus the
individual's conscience is made the centre of all activity and not
the views of a small minority belonging to the political or other
elite classes.

2) In order to add weightage to the views of the people it should
be made clear that if the members of a particular area feel that
the elected representatives are failing in their task, then the
voters would join together in the next ensuing election to
campaign for the candidate (either an independent or belonging to
a political party that believes in conscience-based governance)
whom they believe would seriously take note of the people's views
expressed on the WDDM (and other such platforms).

3) Eventually the above steps can lead to a situation where
'conscience-based governance' through 'partyless mechanism within
the elected house' can be made into a law if the people so desire.
The political parties would still exist but would be confined to
promoting their particular ideology outside the elected house,
having no role in actual governance.

The above step wise approach would allow freedom of thought to the
people and would allow increasing degree of activism towards truer
democracy depending on the need of the locality and the way the
political parties respond to the challenge. Political parties and
independent politicians would find that getting themselves
registered at the WDDM and adopting the principle of
'conscience-based governance' would be advantageous to them. NGOs
fighting for various social causes would find that supporting the
WDDM by registering themselves in it would be of great help in
promoting their respective causes.

The global approach of WDDM would be an advantage since the
possible down-side of adopting 'conscience-based governance' to
individual national economies in terms of losing competitiveness
would be balanced by similar changes occurring everywhere. The
global approach naturally would add to the appeal and credibility
of 'conscience-based governance' to the common man.

There is vast scope of further refinement of the above proposal.
I&R Tools like Enitiative can be integrated to facilitate
deliberation
and decision making by the people.

I will post this under the proposal forum for what it is worth.

PVR

--
Bruce Eggum
Gresham Wisconsin, USA