00797: Re: [WDDM] Unequal voting rights? - Re: [WDDM] ReQuest for Defining "a bottom-up origin"

From: "Pras Anand" <pras_anand(at)hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:50:23 -0000
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Unequal voting rights? - Re: [WDDM] ReQuest for Defining "a bottom-up origin"

I wanted to add here with regards to voting - everyone having the same rights - this i believe in.

If everyone has the same right, they should take the same responsibility. What I am saying is that the current voting system is a joke. You aren't voting for anything more than a different t-shirt being worn by the same organisation.

Any alternative system would create more of a democratic system.

Some of us seem to be holding to the idea of democracy as some kind of holy grail. As if democracy is so amazing. I understand this is the direct democracy forum, but therefore let's look at that idea.

Where is the democracy today? and what is causing the problems we generally describe that need solving?

Elitism, control, corruption etc are mostly cause by greed and accumulated power (money).

For me, money is the only democratic system I see in today's world. The money we have and spend is a direct representation of our choices. People give each other power based on their needs. Isn't this a form of democracy? Power going to the company that we all choose as our preferred supplier etc etc.

Again, I wanted to state that people do not have an equal right in the worl. Never will, never should. That is a little idealistic. We are different by birth and no way will everyone get treat the same no matter. IE: You are a black, woman with children and an indian husband - you will not get the same respect in any country as a rich white male in any country.

If you are mentally impaired and all you think about is sweets and television - you have just as much right as a highly intelligent political activist.. The flaw in democracy is that the majority of people are stupid, uninterested and easy to influence. Hence to win a democratic vote requires to be popular with the people. This is achieved through advanced soap-opera and just goes to show one of the obvious weaknesses in political democracy today.

Alternatives? Well Social Computer is a modelling tool to explore and develop alternatives. The current systems are based on archaic ideas which are too simplistic to actually work in the reality. They serve a purpose but we need an entirely new system based on ecologies of decision and ecologies of experience.

After 5 years working on it - there are many catching up with some of the principle notions of my work.
http://www.digital-ecosystem.org/ some of the ideas here give good stimulation to think about what is going to be possible in the near future. It is based on business ecosystems - i'd been working on a much broader level.

I wanted to point out also that people aren't even interested in voting anymore because they can see how little impact it has on the affairs being handled by the governments. The question not being adressed elsewhere (as far as I can see) is that people are not interested in politics. (unless it affects them directly)