00350: Re: Context of "Pax Americana"

From: "M. Kolar" <wddm(at)mkolar.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:19:18 +0900
Subject: Re: Context of "Pax Americana"

"The "Jihad" message has been written just after
911, President's Bush declaration of state of
war and its ratification by involved legislative
bodies. At this time this decision has been
supported by about 92% Americans and opposed
by about 8% social failures of the Fuzzy Bottom
calling themselves Peace Fighters. Fighting for
peace sounding a bit like drinking for sobriety,
I prefer the shorter name "peaceniks"."

Georges,
where have you get those 92%?
From Canada it looked like much less Americans than 92% where unequivocally
supporting the war. It was unfortunately more than 50%, by I doubt that much
more than 60%, but I do not have any statistics. But I would say, the results
of the last US presidential vote is a good indication.
Mirek

P.S. Just for comparison, it seems that right now a large majority of the
citizens of the Russian Federation also unfortunately support their government
in the Chechen war. Again, I do not have any statistics, but just from my
personal observation of my surroundings (I have been recently spending almost
half of my time in Siberia) it may well be over 80%! There are some outspoken
critics of the war in the media (heard all over the Russian territory), which
are probably more courageous than any domestic US critics of the war in Iraq,
but they seem to find a little resonance in the majority of the population.