00260: Re: Wiki discussions...

From: richard(at)cyberjournal.org
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:33:01 +0100
Subject: Re: Wiki discussions...

Friends,

At last! Some folks commented on HarmonizationAndLocalism.

As an encouragement to others, permit me to post part of the dialog...

---

Richard, several comments:
1. Perhaps it might be appropriate to put here on this page a "blog" for discussion entries?
2. How does your "harmonization" differ from "deliberation"? Do you see any need for formal voting at all? Or just harmonization means talking until a solution supported/accepted by everybody will emerge?
4. Do you have a practical
4. I agree extensively with your "Localism" principle. I have myself arrived at something similar. I envisage a future better society as a pluralistic federation of various (local) communities. I am afraid that there may always (or still for a very long time) be people who, for various reason, would prefer that their decisions be made for them by their representatives or leader. So we may have side by side direct democratic (harmonization) communities and communities with other decision-making mechanisms. It would be important that people would not be forced to stay in the community of their birth, and would be allowed to move freely among various communities. Several such "communities" could even share the same geographical area. Various higher level (global) councils would then take care of the relation of the common interests and joint projects of, and relations between various communities in a given part of the world. Agin (as with your proposals) this would require more elaboration, explanation and discussion.
Mirek
-- MiKolar [Miroslav Kolar] (2005-05-22 17:06:28)

---

Greetings Miroslav,

Thanks for joining in!

1. I don't understand blogs. How are they different from this comment facility?

2a. Harmonization is about people connecting at a human level, and then working together to deal with all their concerns. Deliberation typically happens more at the level of ideas and proposals. Deliberation becomes much more productive within a context of harmonization.

2b. re: voting: Perhaps there will be a role for voting, but I doubt it. If people need to vote, it means they haven't finished discussing the issues. This becomes clearer if we consider a business context, rather than a political context. In all my years in industry, never once did anyone suggest voting as a way to decide a project issue. It would have seemed silly.

4. re: localism. I think 'communities', in the political sense, need to be strictly place-based and non-overlapping. Some people may not choose to participate in community dialog, but that would be because they are satisfied with how things are being handled.

People 'moving freely' is a complex issue. In general I'm in favor of freedom of travel, but I think a community should have the right to decide whether or not it wants an influx of new inhabitants.

All of these ideas are elaborated more fully in my soon-to-be-published book on Global Transformation.

Thanks again for your comment!

-- RichardMoore (2005-05-23 04:25:10)