WDDM Home DISCUSSION ON HOW TO PROMOTE DIRECT (TRUE) DEMOCRACY

WDDM Forum : WDDM Goals

Forum for the discussion of the WDDM mission and goals  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage List• New Topic • Search • Log In
WDDM Mission Statement
Posted by: BrEggum (IP Logged)
Date: December 11, 2005 08:50PM

WDDM provides a Hub of information and links so the people can develop methods to govern themselves.

As a World organization, WDDM encourages membership of all people on this earth.

WDDM supports Liberty for all people and the practice of Liberty in all governments.

WDDM Supports Equality which is practiced to encourage peaceful interaction of all World habitants.

WDDM Supports the Environment encouraging respect and sustainable practices reducing pollution, increasing earth physical health toward clean healthy water, soil, and air.

Options: Reply To This Message • Quote This Message
Re: WDDM Mission Statement
Date: December 11, 2005 08:46PM

Obviously I mean these as suggested, so please re-write them, add to them etc. Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 01:51AM by WddmAdmin.

Date: December 11, 2005 08:46PM

Here is the present WDDM Mission Statement. To which I suggest to add specific goals. I replaced this post with the mission statement on the WDDM Main page which I agree with.

EVERYWHERE, the people of planet Earth are angry, frustrated, and disappointed with their political systems, for dictators are still tyrants, and so-called democracies are undeniably and clearly undemocratic. Politics still favors the powerful, and political parties are not only filled with incompetent opportunists, but in this highly technological world they are obsolete.
Earth, people are weary of forked-tongued politicians, greedy, uncaring businessmen, and the continuous wars they initiate. Everywhere, people seek new ways to govern their societies; ways that would be more honest and just, promising a better and safer future for themselves and their children. They seek—and they are finding—new ways that do promise a better and safer future. Among these pioneers, the overwhelming consensus is that, of all these new ways, "Participatory" Democracy, also known as "Direct" Democracy, is the most promising path to that better future.
All members of the WDDM are dedicated to promoting an understanding of Direct Democracy's benefits and spreading its influence on planet Earth. This website is a central gathering place for international DD news, discussions, and assistance. If you have never visited us before, come on in, look around, and if you agree with our philosophies, please join us. You can also join or form local groups where you live and link to us. Our final goal is to develop a multilingual global network of Direct Democracy advocates.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2006 11:23AM by BrEggum.

Date: December 11, 2005 08:53PM

It has been suggested that goals should be on a different page as Mission. I agree.

Bruce Eggum Wisconsin USA
www.doinggovernment.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2006 11:48PM by BrEggum.

Posted by: WebMaster (IP Logged)
Date: May 24, 2006 09:44PM

Here I copy two old e-mail submissions on the WDDM mission from June 2005:

1. ---------------
To: <cicdd>
Cc: <world-wide-democracy.net>
Subject: Mission Statement
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:37:42 +0200

Dear all,
at the coming September Conference in Prague, we shall try to produce a =
generally acceptable Mission Statement for the renewed global =
organization. Most of you will probably not attend, but I would like you =
to comment on the two previous mission statements formulated in June =
2001 and November 2001. (See the respective Newsletters.)
June 2001: We, global citizens, join in an educational effort to inform =
People that all political power originates from them - they are =
sovereign - and that they have the inherent right to exercise the =
legislative powers associated with that sovereignty, to create and alter =
governments, constitutions, and laws.
The People's sovereignty and its exercise are the First Principles of =
human governance. First Principles can be used to establish direct =
democracy in any country trat truly is a democracy. We pledge ourselves =
to inform and assist People in bringing about direct democracy within =
their nations so that the People can share in the central power of =
government - lawmaking. The People, as lawmakers, will then be able to =
directly involve themselves in their own self-governance.
November 2001: We, members of the Worldwide Democracy Movement, believe =
that all citizens have the right to directly perform lawmaking and other =
governmental functions in any polity in which they live. Therefore we =
seek to develop and promote any participatory processes which allow =
people to exercise their rights to make their own laws and/or manage =
their own government.
Your comments and suggestions will be taken into account by the =
participants of the Conference.
Thanking you in advance, I remain with my best regards,
Jiri Polak

2. ---------------
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:01:53 +0200
To: cicdd
CC: world-wide-democracy.net
Subject: Re: [cicdd] Mission Statement

Dear Jiri,
I think two more - in relation to 2001 statements - issues should be
brought up presently:
1) progressing globalization - the whole humanity, not only nations,
ought to be considered as the DD domain;
2) growing importance of the cyberspace - cyberspace ought to be
considered as a would be environment for DD development.
Best regards
Andrzej

webmaster

Posted by: illegale (IP Logged)
Date: June 14, 2006 01:41PM

Hello to all smiling smiley

I am glad to see you still focus your energy to better tomorrow. I thought you lost some of the interest after CICDD lost its relevance, creating sensation that nearly everybody got tired of too many talk and that many results.

Though, as long as we can continue this conversation and as long as I am still member of this group (please, have in mind that people should have possibility not to agree with your mission and yet to have ability of participation in this site) I have to say a few critics about this group, the same critics I can take on myself and on the groups I am active participant.

It seems to me this is all about procedures, instead of exact actions that might empower people, or at least set base for empowerment of the people. Why is that so? I suppose you should become much more goal oriented, to start projects that make sense to wider population in a manner of making this group prosperous.

And I can not notice this. Why is that so? Is it because I am a bed surfer? Is it because I do not understand your strategy? Why do you waste so much energy on the procedures, instead of starting small and clear projects that make sense and create big benefit for organisation? I suppose this would lead you far a way from this not so prosperous (IMO of course) situation.

Please, can you explain this to me in order to solve this confusion out.
ATB,
Gordan Ponjavic Gale

Posted by: MiKolar (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2006 10:30AM

Gale, welcome to the discussion!

(please, have in mind that people should have possibility not to agree with your mission and yet to have ability of participation in this site)
Not necessarily. We don't need too much distractions from the people who do not agree with our mission. We are not (have not the means to be) a model of the whole Earth population. We want to attract like-minded people, and concentrate on our mission.
There are many other places on the Internet where you can engage in broad unfocused discussions.

Why do you waste so much energy on the procedures, instead of starting small and clear projects that make sense and create big benefit for organisation? I suppose this would lead you far a way from this not so prosperous (IMO of course) situation.
If we want to achieve these "small and clear projects", we need some basic decision-making capabilities, thus some basic procedures. We are trying to create them democratically, collectively, which is by nature a slow process.

mk, [democracy.mkolar.org]

Date: June 20, 2006 01:32AM

[quote MiKolar]Gale, welcome to the discussion!
quote[/quote]
Not necessarily. We don't need too much distractions from the people who do not agree with our mission.[/quote]

OK. Look at this:

"Politics still favors the powerful"

This is oxymoron from your mission statement. I can not accept oxymorons, nor support them. In the same time, I am fighter for empowerment of the people. So, as long as I can not accept your mission in this very moment, does it mean that I am not invited to discuss over common thoughts and ideas we do actually share?

If that is so, please unsubscribe me from the members list immediately, as long as I obviously do not belong here if that is so. If that is not so, please choose words and rules much more carefully and allow me as to non supporter of current mission to be part of this discussion board as non member of organisation itself, but as public that do care about what you do.

So, this all depends on one fact. Do you need those who do not share same mind patterns as you do, or you do not need them? If you do need them, it is up to you to enable them participation in a manner of true pluralism. If not, if you do think that you do not need those who might not share same mind on the level of the organisation acceptance, then I have to bless you and move on as long as I do not like to be part of communities that obviously do not need me anyway.

[quote]We are not (have not the means to be) a model of the whole Earth population.We want to attract like-minded people, and concentrate on our mission.
There are many other places on the Internet where you can engage in broad unfocused discussions.[/quote]

OK. If you think that this closed group can prosper on the grounds it has right now, all I can do is to wish you luck.

[quote]Why do you waste so much energy on the procedures, instead of starting small and clear projects that make sense and create big benefit for organisation? I suppose this would lead you far a way from this not so prosperous (IMO of course) situation.[/quote]
If we want to achieve these "small and clear projects", we need some basic decision-making capabilities, thus some basic procedures.[/quote]

Seems to me you make science out of it. All I would do if Id belong to such organisation would be to articulate one concrete project we all agree about, choose a project leader and go on. In the moment this stuff becomes non productive, only than we would start working on it.

In that way initiative becomes goal oriented, not pit of bureaucrats who never done any actual work which is common surrounding of any politic party I had possibility to check. If you want to be different, care about good atmosphere at least. This what you have is not so attractive, nor promising IMO.

[quote]We are trying to create them democratically, collectively, which is by nature a slow process.[/quote]

It is slow if you want to make it slow. It can be fast too, if there is will for such procedure. Yet. I am afraid that you are not so keen about further step as long as you work on this for way too long for such initiative willing to move on.

ATB,
Gale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2006 01:33AM by illegale.

Posted by: CommonOne (IP Logged)
Date: June 21, 2006 10:03AM

Hi,

I understand your puzzlement, but I believe the reason so many people are spending so much time on procedures is that they don't know how to accomplish things in the real world. Or, they are afraid of attempting a real word project. Or they're enjoying themselves prolonging these discussions.

Cheers,

Lee

Date: June 23, 2006 12:41AM

Yes, I do agree with you.

ATB,
Gale

Posted by: stevemagruder (IP Logged)
Date: July 02, 2006 12:11PM

BrEggum   wrote:
Here is the present WDDM Mission Statement. To which I suggest to add specific goals. I replaced this post with the mission statement on the WDDM Main page which I agree with.

EVERYWHERE, the people of planet Earth are angry, frustrated, and disappointed with their political systems... {snip}

First of all, I'm astonished by the negativity of a few (not you, Bruce) in this discussion thread. It seems to me that if someone is interested in direct democracy, they would simply participate in building it rather than being a negativist about it.

I generally like this mission statement. It's a lot better than the old one as it seems less prescriptive, and that's a good thing. What I mean by "prescriptive" is that a statement on democracy shouldn't really be saying what the democratic outcomes should be. It should be about the process rather than pre-deciding the democratic outcomes. This mission statement also seems more inclusive... I think the old one (if memory serves) tried to say that everyone must be perfectly educated somehow before we can even begin (which means we'll never get started). I think we should take the optimistic stand that human beings will rise to the occasion of participation, and will take the responsibility of properly preparing themselves for their new role as stronger citizens.

In general, if I were to try and make the mission statement even better, I would root out any remaining prescriptive nuances, while ensuring that the masses understand that our collective definition of "direct democracy" goes beyond the standard contemporary defintion of "initatives/referendums/recall". I make an attempt at describing what we're after in the Goals thread.

Date: July 02, 2006 01:02PM

I agree, this is quite negative. Does anyone have any suggestions?
BrEggum

Bruce Eggum Wisconsin USA
www.doinggovernment.com

Get Firefox!       Powered by Phorum.       PHP