WDDM Home DISCUSSION ON HOW TO PROMOTE DIRECT (TRUE) DEMOCRACY

WDDM Forum : Proposals and Initiatives

Any member can post here proposals concerning WDDM (its function, mission, goals, organization). 
Goto: Forum ListMessage List• New Topic • Search • Log In
Re: Initiative changes in Charter Statues #9 and #11
Posted by: mantell (IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2008 05:48AM

Firstly, I congratulate Bruce on using (maybe the right word is testing) the current WDDM mechanism for change.

As to Bruce's specific changes.

Bruce has a point concerning the number of seconds needed to validate a proposal for vote as an intiative. Until the next board elections, the WDDM charter requires three seconds to validate a proposal for vote by initiative. Alas, unless we do something, the charter defaults to a requirement that 10% of the membership second an initiative. In my opinion, 10% is too high a barrier. However, Bruce suggests that we require only one second. I'd like something a little more rigorous, namely, the current requirement of three seconds. I'll second Bruce's proposed change to charter item #9. But I'll also propose an amendment to Bruce's proposal setting the seconds requirement to three members.

I do not support Bruce's proposal to strike charter item #11. Charter item #11 requires that executive board actions be subject to referendum. I like that. Also I really like the current language in charter item #11: "The executive board is also empowered to interpret the charter, subject to validation by the membership..."

Mark Antell, member
WDDM executive board

Options: Reply To This Message • Quote This Message
Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Initiative changes in Charter Statues #9 and #11 1664 BrEggum 03/09/2008 10:56PM
  Re: Initiative changes in Charter Statues #9 and #11 826 BrEggum 04/24/2008 12:10PM
  Re: Initiative changes in Charter Statues #9 and #11 988 mantell 03/12/2008 05:48AM
  Re: Initiative changes in Charter Statues #9 and #11 830 BrEggum 03/12/2008 06:45AM

Get Firefox!       Powered by Phorum.       PHP