02091: Re: [WDDM] Re :[WDDM] What is the AIM of WDDM?

From: Bruce Eggum <bruce.eggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:47:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Re :[WDDM] What is the AIM of WDDM?

Dear Vijayaraghavan and WDDM,

Thanks for your response. Yes the anarchist conception has been one suggested here. I fear it is undemocratic.

Your posting has merit. I had written some concerns previously but look forward to others response.
It seems best to tailor the process used to the needs of the local culture.

Of course the initial method included the axiom; the people of all democracies have the right to petition their own government.

Therefore each member was encouraged to go to their own local government body's [Nation, State, County, and Municipality] and bring petitions for all to agree on. Unfortunately it is difficult to recruit people in the numbers needed to achieve the goal. People want to know detail of any petition, and if WDDM can support a general AIM which could be embraced in all efforts it would be useful. Indeed it seems we need a worldwide campaign, especially now with all the Globalization talk. But it must begin locally.

Your model does contain the I&BR system. I see I&BR as a simple beginning, if the people successfully petitioned for I&BR, the people would have the authority to change and legislate. They could than adopt the system of their choosing, including your model.

I look forward to much deliberation on this with many ideas. We can than decide how WDDM can develop a campaign suited to achieve the Aim of people in control of their governments.

Best Regards, Bruce

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:26 AM, <Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan> wrote:
Bruce,
I wonder how you equated True Democracy with - "No president, No prime minister etc. Just the people making decisions...". I think you have the 'anarchist' conception of democracy in mind.

We have discussed a lot about True Democracy on the Forum. I am giving a link that explains how the concept of True Democracy is in tune with the existing kind of representative democracy. It also explains how the tools of I&R can be integrated into the process of governance: http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/forum/read.php?23,641,641#msg-641

First we should get there into the corridors of government. This can be done from the grass roots and this movement can do it provided it is not preoccupied with I&R only.

Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:00:46 -0500 wddm@world-wide-democracy.net wrote

Direct Democracy

It is
difficult to go in two directions at once. I bring these questions up so we may
discuss it a bit. Of course this is my opinion; I am looking for more
information.

There seem
to be two popular modes of DD. One beggars the people to make all decisions. Some
call this “True Democracy” or other term. This model usually eliminates government

as we know it. No Presidents, Prime Ministers, Senate, Congress, Parliament
just the people making decisions. There is a void however, how would the
decisions be carried out? How would they be evaluated and who would
administrate the financing? There would have to be some huge administrative
mechanism to accomplish the decisions of the people. How would this be
supervised?

Another
question is who would be voting? Would the elite be the majority participating
in these elections? Would minorities simply be discounted?

My questions
to WDDM is: does WDDM want to support this type of “True Democracy” at this
time? Have we progressed to the point we could do so?

The present
representative system has rules and constitutional requirements about equal
rights, Liberty, minority rights etc. This system built over many years now has
some safe guards. However there are times this system makes decisions which are
contrary to the majority of the people.

The second method
is the “Swiss model” which retains the “Representative System” but adds
Initiative and Binding Referendum. This system oversees the Representatives and
provides the people the tools to directly alter or stop any and all legislation
the people disagree with. With this oversight, the Representatives are more
cautious in their decisions, knowing the people can change the decisions as
well as recall the Representative.

Indeed, if the
people wanted to eliminate Representative Government, they could build the
necessary administrative mechanism; develop rules, laws and constitutional
requirements necessary to accomplish this using the Swiss model. Once the
necessary systems were functioning, the people could use the Swiss System and
simply pass an Initiative implementing the new way.

I think WDDM needs to decide specifically what its
AIM is and how to carry it out. I ask that we deliberate the above questions
with much discussion. What do you think?
Kind Regards, Bruce
Bruce Eggum
Gresham Wisconsin, USA
http://www.doinggovernment.com/