02963: RE: View Direct Democracy South Africa

From: "Dave Parker" <davefparker(at)shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:58:25 -0800
Subject: RE: View Direct Democracy South Africa

I like the premise. The outline appears well thought out and simple enough to understand. Asking a professional politician to be accountable is going to be a challenge. If the demand is high enough then then there may be little choice other than to supply what the people need.

I did find what appear to be three minor grammatical errors. Some people are turned off when they see that sort of thing. I have pasted them in below in colored context.

1.       5. The politician can ignore the employers (the voters) for the whole of the 5 years, and even go against the wishes orthe politicians’ employers (voters).

2.       I, (ward councillor, ID, ward number, municipality), acknowledge that I am effectively an employee of the voters of ward (number) and that it is the voters of the ward who, through payment of their rates and taxes, pay the my salary

3.       Should 40% or more of the number of voters who voted in the previous election of the said the said ward sign an open petition I will comply with their wishes and resign.

Forgive me if I am mistaken. I am not an editor.  I was merely trying to help avoid any distrust, misunderstanding or confusion.

Best wishes in the New Year