02789: Re: [WDDM] MANY ACTIVE MEMBERS AND VOTERS

From: "Ted Becker" <becketl(at)auburn.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:32:01 -0600
Subject: Re: [WDDM] MANY ACTIVE MEMBERS AND VOTERS

Agreed...pragmatically. I was just discussing the theory, not
recommending that this be part of your proposal at this time.

"Jiri Polak" <jiri.polak(at)swipnet.se> 1/21/2011 1:39 PM >>>
I agree that random selection of representatives would be superior to
election, but it is a system belonging probably to a rather distant
future.
I focus on a system which could be pushed through in the next few
years.
Once in place, steps might be taken to reach a higher stage of
democracy,
i.e. random selection. However, there are many factors we cannot
foresee at
this moment. I belive that an attempt to jump directly to random
representation from current party-based representative systems would
fail.
This could be one of the themes for discussion at the coming
conference.
Jiri
From: jimpowell(at)mweb.co.za
To: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:38:12 +0200

Hi Hamid,

Having the voters making decisions on all matters is a waste of
time.
The politicians are employed to consider the information and make
decisions, similar to managers employed by shareholders in a
company.
The voters are the shareholders and the politicians the managers

Regards

Jim Powell South Africa

From: jimpowell(at)mweb.co.za
To: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:47:38 +0200

I think the Swiss have got it right (mostly)

Have your politicians investigate and propose new laws. The
electorate will have access to all the information and can raise a
referendum if enough of them are unhappy with the legislation. A
referendum is held and the will of the people is sovereign.

97% of legislation in Switzerland goes through without objection.
The
laws that are passed will be created with the knowledge that they can
be
challenged, so they are voter friendly

Jim Powell South Africa