02645: Re: [WDDM] Constructive pragmatism

From: Fred Gohlke <fredgohlke(at)verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 18:12:19 -0400
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Constructive pragmatism

Thank you, Jiri

The proposal has merit, but I'm not surprised that "all parliamentary
parties have rejected this proposal".

I differ with the authors of the proposal because I believe the problem
is less a matter of monitoring our representatives than it is a matter
of picking the best representatives in the first place. As long as
political parties control the selection of candidates for public office,
we will be ruled by the vested interests that control the parties.

We have, among us, no shortage of people with the ability and the
integrity to advocate the common good (even when their advocacy does not
serve my personal interest). What we lack is a means of finding those
people and raising them to public office.

Still, the important thing is, as you say, "... the fight for democracy
goes on." My guess is that we are 200 years from government "by the
people", but it won't even happen then unless be keep working.

Fred Gohlke