02532: Re: [WDDM] Questionnaire for measuring citizen desires for government.

From: Doug Everingham <dnevrghm(at)powerup.com.au>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:19:00 +1000
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Questionnaire for measuring citizen desires for government.

Text below copied by Doug Everingham [DE} from email and attachment from WMcC.
DE's comments inserted:
suggested ADDITIONS in bold, italics underlined, suggested deletions inside  {{{ ... }}}  braces.
====

On 26/12/2009, at 11:16 PM, William McConochie wrote:

Sunday, October 11.

Dear Jim Powell and other members of WDDM:
Attached is a questionnaire that I offer as a potential tool in promoting direct democracy in your communities and nations. It is a first draft. I ask for your review and comments, please.

Best regards, Bill McConochie, Political Psychology Research, Inc.
<Government_Citizen Preferred Government Services Questionnaire.doc>

Citizen Preferred Government Services Questionnaire ("GSQ").

William A. McConochie, Ph.D. Political Psychology Research, Inc.
Copyright 2009. Bill(at)politicalpsychologyresearch.com. Eugene, Or. 541-686-9934.

Introduction.

This questionnaire draft is submitted for critical comment and suggestions. A final version might be loaded on the author's web site, Politicalpsychologyresearch.com, for community leaders to use in assessing citizen opinions in their respective communities, as by opening an account with a community number so that all citizens from that community can provide data that can be gleaned to guide leaders in that specific community.

This questionnaire is a draft of one that can be adapted for use in virtually any community. It solicits citizen opinions about desired government services. The level of government can range from a village to a nation (town, city, county, state, nation). More content items can be added. Irrelevant items can be dropped.

The rationale for this sort of questionnaire is that government defined by carefully measured public desires is more likely to be supported by citizens and meet citizen needs than government designed and controlled by a minority of privileged, wealthy persons. Research by the author in the United States suggests that the majority of citizens want peaceful, sustainable, fair, affordable government. Thus, it is expected that citizens polled in times of peace will define reasonable, fair, sustainable government policies and programs. Thus, results of polls such as the present one are expected to provide objective, quantified data that can guide current governments and inspire and guide social activists in united, constructive efforts to improve the governments of their nations. Without such data, governments are likely to be designed and controlled by self-serving minorities, or by dangerously enthusiastic and opinionated activists who not infrequently inspire dictatorships as their end result if successful in overthrowing existing governments.

Please examine the questionnaire and contact me with your comments, suggestions, etc.

Questionnaire:

Instructions to citizens: To help determine what your community wants from government, please circle a number to indicate how strongly you agree or disagree with each item below, using this code:
Strongly disagree
Disagree
Neutral, or between 2 and 3
Agree
Strongly agree
1
2
3
4
5

A. Revenue.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Our government should be financed primarily by taxes on citizen income.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Our government should be financed primarily by taxes on business income.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Our government should be financed primarily by profits from sale of natural resources (oil, metal ores, timber, etc.).
1 2 3 4 5
4. Our government should be financed primarily by taxes on sales of goods and services.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Income taxes should be graduated, with higher incomes taxed more than lower incomes.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Our government should be financed in part by duties on imported products.
1 2 3 4 5
 7,  Gradually the major sources of public revenue should become levies/rents based on site rent of land (all communally owned - Henry George principle) and exploitation of natural resurces. Avoid windfall private land capital gain or loss when site value changes due to change in regional industries, closer settlement etc.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

B. Debt, Expenditures,.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Our government should function as much as possible without borrowing money, e.g. by selling government bonds.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Our government should not borrow more money than it can pay interest and principle on sufficiently to keep the debt from growing.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Our government should function without borrowing any money at all, living within current revenue.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Our government should increase expenditures for military activity.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Our government should increase expenditures for management of our natural resources.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Our government should increase expenditures on public safety programs.
1 2 3 4 5
7. Our government should increase expenditures on infrastructure (national roads, railroads, ocean ports, etc.).
1 2 3 4 5
8. Our government should increase expenditures on health, education and welfare programs.
1 2 3 4 5
9. Our government should increase expenditures on basic government services (administration, regulation, national parks, financial services, etc.).
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

C. Natural resources.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to protect our natural resources from excessive exploitation, destruction, etc.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to promote reasonable use of our natural resources, e.g. mining, harvesting, increasing renewable ones, etc.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to promote tourism of visitors from other nations who want to experience our natural resources (e.g. lakes, forests, canyons, oceans).
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to promote renewable natural resources, such as fisheries, forests and agriculture.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

D. Defense.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to increase our military power.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should reduce our military activity, forces and expenditures.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to understand the causes of international tensions and conflict to minimize the need for military power.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to address the causes of problems within our nation that might lead to civil wars.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more to cooperate with the united nations to help minimize wars around the world.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Government should do more to build military alliances with other nations
1 2 3 4 5
7. Government should do more to fight terrorism in our nation.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

E. Education.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to provide scholarships to poor students.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to fund research at our colleges and universities.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to encourage children of all ages to do their best in school.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should encourage and support adults to take courses to increase their job skills.
1 2 3 4 5
 5.  Government should inform prospectve parents of the central influence of parewnting in developing
critical and cooperative reasoning following parental example particularly in our first 3 years of life when
basic speech, accent, customs and other cultural norms are most firmly based.  Mutual discussion of
informed parenting should beecouraged to combat socially diaruptve problems including drugs misuse
and fundamentalist sectarian dogma.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

F. The Economy (finance, jobs, foreign trade).
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should more carefully and effectively regulate the private financial industry to minimize periodic bank failures, etc. that jeopardize the national economy.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should more effectively manage the federal money supply to promote a stable national economy (avoiding inflation, deflation and stagnation).
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should strive to create a sustainable model for our national economy to include jobs for all citizens, a sustainable population level, minimal pollution, protection of non-renewable resources, etc.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to counteract criminal financial activities, such as counterfeiting, identity theft, bank robberies and Ponzi schemes.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more to promote trade with other nations.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Government should do more to promote a balance of trade with other nations (exporting as much or more than we import).
1 2 3 4 5
7. Government should do more to more to increase jobs in the private industry.
1 2 3 4 5
8. Government should do more to support employee unions.
1 2 3 4 5
9. Government should do more to support business and industry.
1 2 3 4 5
10. Government should do more to protect local jobs from imported goods that put local our citizen out of work.
1 2 3 4 5
11. Government should do more to find a reasonable balance between imports, exports and local job protection and creation.
1 2 3 4 5
12. Government should do more to promote alternative jobs for public service, e.g. Peace Corps rather than military service.

G. The environment.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to develop a workable plan to protect our national environment indefinitely.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should more to protect our fresh water resources (lakes, rivers and aquifers).
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to reduce our emissions of greenhouse gases (from fossil fuel burning, burning of forests, etc.).
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to reduce pollution by various chemicals, such as insecticides, solvents and industrial waste.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more to promote citizen recycling of paper, metal, glass, etc.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Government should work with citizens to develop a sustainable population size plan for our nation, so we do not exceed the carrying capacity of our land and economy.
1 2 3 4 5
7. Government should promote research to design sustainable environmental protection programs.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

H. Justice system. Crime prevention. Fairness.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to prevent criminal behavior by government leaders.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to prevent bribery, in whatever forms, from influencing elected official decisions.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to prevent crimes specifically against women, such as rape and assault.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to prevent crimes against children, such as abuse, pornography and child labor/sweat shops.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more to prevent violent crimes.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Government should do more to reduce illicit drug production and trafficking.
1 2 3 4 5
7. Government should do more to more to reduce juvenile delinquency.
1 2 3 4 5
8. Government should do more to prevent violence against minority groups in our country.
1 2 3 4 5
9. Government should do more to reduce suicides.
1 2 3 4 5
10. Government should do more to improve the court system so trials are prompt, fair and efficient.
1 2 3 4 5
11. Government should do more to investigate possible criminal behavior and take action against offenders.
1 2 3 4 5

I. Agriculture, forests, water resources, fisheries.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to protect prime agricultural land for agricultural use only.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to develop and appropriately harvest forest products.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to protect and harvest our fresh water and ocean fisheries.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to assure adequate sanitary/sewer systems in our nation.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

J. Regulation. Product Safety, Transportation Safety, Drugs, Alcohol, Personal weapons, Travel, Pesticides, Sewers and Garbage disposal, Pesticides, Smoking, Prostitution, etc.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to assure the safety of consumer products (e.g. toys, cars, medicines).
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to improve transportation safety.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to reduce abuse of alcohol.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to reduce production, marketing and use of illicit drugs.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more to reduce use of tobacco products, especially among children and in public places.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Government should do more to reduce dangers to communities from natural disasters, such as tsunamis, floods, tornados and earthquakes.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

K. Housing.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to assure adequate, affordable private housing for citizens.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to provide affordable public housing for citizens.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should promote development of communities that are designed to conserve energy and other resources, are easy to travel in and have all basic services at affordable prices.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should encourage the development of stabile, sustainable communities with a meaningful place and role for our full range of citizens.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

L. Public protection. Police, coast guard.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to limit weapons in the hands of civilians.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to provide safety on our waterways and coasts.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to provide adequate police services.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to reduce causes of civilians becoming criminals.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more to punish and imprison criminals.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Government should do more to rehabilitate criminals.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

M. Welfare for sick, poor, orphans, handicapped, elderly, etc.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to provide services to orphans.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to provide services to physically disadvantaged citizens.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to provide services to mentally disadvantaged citizens.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to provide services to elderly citizens.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more for chronically unemployed citizens.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Government should do more to prevent careless teen pregnancies, especially to unwed mothers.
1 2 3 4 5
7. Government should do more to assure equal opportunities to minority group members.
1 2 3 4 5
8. Government should do more to assure equal opportunities for gay and lesbian citizens.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

N. Transportation (roads, shipping, ports, railways, airports, etc.)
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to build or repair our public roads, bridges and tunnels.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to build or repair our railroad system.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to promote the development of high-speed rail service in our communities.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to assure adequate, affordable and safe air transportation.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more to assure safety on our highways.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Government should do more to improve our shipping and other water transportation services.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

O. Public Health. Insurance. Research. Disease prevention. Medication regulation.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to reduce the treats of communicable diseases in our nation.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to assure affordable and adequate health care to all citizens.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to fund research for the prevention of disease.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to assure disease-free foods in markets and public eateries.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more to assure affordable, quality health care for all citizens of our nation.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

P. Preferred type of government practices, e.g. special interest group, lobbyist funding, public democracy, dictatorship.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to promote public democracy, government serving citizens as members of the community overall, rather than as members of special interest groups.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to promote government that serves citizens as members of special interest groups.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to favor businesses over the general public.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to help the wealthy.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more to help the middle class.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Government should do more to help the lower and lowest classes.
1 2 3 4 5
7. Government should do less of everything it does, leaving community problems up to local states, counties, and towns.
1 2 3 4 5
8. Government should do more to get the money out of legislative decision-making (bribes).
1 2 3 4 5
9. Government should do more to get pork barrel legislation out of politics (eliminate expenditures for programs of minimal value to the public overall).
1 2 3 4 5
10. Government should do more to minimize "dead- wood" government jobs (jobs designed more to keep people employed and reward partisan loyalists than to provide needed public services).
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

Q. Foreign policy.

1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to promote a kind and helpful foreign policy.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to support the activities of the United Nations.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to encourage certain types of excellence by having annual prizes, like the Nobel prizes, for a wide range of efforts in science, literature, the arts, peace and public service.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to develop and manage a reasonable program for immigration to and emigration from our nation.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

R. Arts.
1 2 3 4 5
1. Government should do more to promote live, public musical performances in our communities.
1 2 3 4 5
2. Government should do more to promote creative arts, such as photography, painting, drawing and sculpture in our communities.
1 2 3 4 5
3. Government should do more to promote live theater performances in our communities.
1 2 3 4 5
4. Government should do more to promote other forms of performing and visual arts in our communities.
1 2 3 4 5
5. Government should do more to limit pornography in our communities.
1 2 3 4 5
6. Government should do more to limit swearing, violence and other crude behaviors in movies, songs, video games and other entertainment in our country.
1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5