02265: Re: [WDDM] Game trial

From: Michael Stansfield <pure_democracy(at)yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:56:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Game trial

Agreement is difficult without knowing what I am volunteering for:

4 - pure_democracy(at)yahoo.com (will do my best provided everyone I am in contact with is in agreement to participate)

From: Michael Stansfield <pure_democracy(at)yahoo.com>
Subject: [WDDM] Some of the requirements I have for a direct democracy system of government
To: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net
Date: Thursday, 13 August, 2009, 10:09 PM

Well said, we are all leaders and few followers, yet we are the expections to a world of followers with real few leaders.  Also, contray to popular belief not just any direct democracy plan will work, nor should we accept any plan because it has the words direct democracy in the name.  Some of the requirements I personally have for a direct democracy system of government:

1) The human rights of the individual should never be able to be overridden by a majority, ie. Civil Rights, Race, Religion, etc a sacred.
2) The power of law should remain the strongest at the local level where a person still has a voice in the process.  Submitting my proposal to a community of a 1000 is much easier than 300 million.  For example let the people in Kanasis decide the rights for the people of Kanasis - I have no business creating laws that effect a people I do not know.  The National Law creation process should be restricted so that some laws can only be decided on the local level or state level.
3) Each Community should have direct control over their taxation and spending levels.  The National Tax and Spending should also be directly controlled by the people through the vote.
4) The people should be the only source of law creation and approval, a small exception may be pollution and other health and safety standards, but even then passage should be by the people.
5) I don't want to be overwhelmed with proposals on voting day.  Plans for weekly or monthly voting nullifies the public to the issues they are voting on.  Also the more proposals you have the less attention each one gets.  Rough estimate, but I'd say if you have more than 25 items on the ballot you have lost the publics focus on many of them.  So how you limit the proposals, as to which ones get on the ballot, is important.  My opinion quality is more important than quanitity.
6) Puting together a group people to give preference to which ideas move forward and which ones do not or forcing people to change their proposal by making it go before an elected board defeats the whole process of democracy and creates a power base among the few.

From: Luca Zampetti <luca_zampetti(at)yahoo.it>
To: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net
Date: Wednesday, 12 August, 2009, 9:21 AM

The proportional voting system in Switzerland works because of the special social conditions there ("Konkordanzdemokratie"), in many other places this system produces strong "rent seeking" effects (Italy).

There is no single instrument for controlling the "rent seeking" influence of special interest groups and of political parties in "Parteienstaat" models of government, these phenomena can (and must) be controlled with many instruments.

The direct and/or indirect control of special interests and of parties can be controlled partially with the return to the Athenian purely stochastic (s)election for a majority of seats (reserving let´s say 51% of them for stochastic (s)election. Every voting system can be manipulated and has both advantages and disadvantages. The point is that no voting system is chosen or designed explicitely for controlling politics and politicians, but for empowering them.

Equally important is: increase the number of direct (s)elective positions in the judiciary and in the executive/administrative branches.

Equally important are additional instruments for voting away politicians and administrators: recall elections, popular veto elections.

The cost of democracy must be in a relation to its productivity. The overall goal must be to use direct democracy instruments to guarantee as much as possible the social productivity of political activities. When the cost is higher than productivity, like in the Parteienstaat, the political institutions break down by themselves anyway in the long run. The question is with what to replace them.

What is required is a general concept for re-engineering democracy so that it becomes compatible with a new-old requirement, i.e. its "controllability", which is related to accountability, but only partially. Our concept of democracy is incomplete: it was successful with delegation, but very miserable with control. It lacks practically all efficient instruments of political and fiscal control. The effects are devastating: we have states that have more powers than totalitarian regimes and we cannot control them efficiently anymore.

There are some powers that definitely need to be withdrawn from legislative institutions, like the budgeting rights, which parliaments arrogated from the kings in many hundreds of years.

Financial referenda should become the standard budgeting procedure.

The budgeting institutions should not be parliaments anymore, but courts of accounts with popularly elected judges and jurors.

Another power that should be withdrawn is the constitution making and revision power, it is definitely a separate power from the legislative, executive and judiciary and it should be institutionalized in separated PERMANENT constitutional assemblies of directly (s)elected representatives (small bodies at regional, national and supranational level).

Constitution making and revision should be out of the hands of professional politicians.

Constitutional initiative, total and partial, should be reserved to the people with proper referendary procedures "organized" under the permanent constitutional assemblies.

And so on ...

Luca Zampetti

From: tstmastr(at)rio..com
To: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net
CC: bill(at)testmasterinc.com
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 04:40:06 -0700

Thank you Martin.  Let me know your thoughts and how your members might be interested in my research studies.  Bill.

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:03:32 -0700

6/22/09

Hello World Wide Democracy group members:

    I am a new member, Bill McConochie.  I am a research psychologist specializing for the past several years in political psychology research.  My findings and personal inclinations are very consonnant with those of your organization.  I believe I could help you in several ways to promote and realize your ultimate goal of advancing human civilization to direct democracy forms of governments.  I will list some of these and await your responses.  Before I do that, let me share just a little more personal background.  I have a Ph.D., and 40 years of experience in clinical, I/O and now political psychology.  I have created a non-profit corp. to publish my research and conduct research over the Internet.  I am a member of the American Psychological Assn, Div. 48 (Peace and Violence studies), the International Society of Political Psychology, and the Oregon Psychological Assn.  I present papers at the annual meetings of ISPP.  I will present one in Dublin in July (09).

How I might be able to help you:

1.  I have research findings that strongly support human desire for government serving them as members of the community overall rather than as members of special interest groups.  This sort of data, of which I have much, can support your efforts, giving them an empirical and not just ideological grounding.

2.  I have developed a reliable and valid scale for measuring the warmongering-proness of political leaders, and have another one ready for validation measuring constructive leadership traits.  These can be used by the media to help inform voters re: what elected officials are likely to promote.

3.  I have designed a working model for a political party whose platform is based on member (citizen) polls of what they want government to provide (policies and programs).

4.  Sophisticated public polls on details of policy issues can be conducted to create the platform for such a party (and for your organization).  They in effect pool all citizen opinions to create a current empirical definition of the common good.  Your organization could conduct such polls and publish the findings to inform nations and the world re: what citizens want from government.  This can help pressure standing governments to perform more appropriately and empower political parties that want to represent the common good (such parties, I recommend, should be funded entirely with member dues, no special interest group money).  Such parties would fund the campaigns of their candidates for elective office as well, keeping their elected candidates independent of the contaminating influence of special interest group money.

5.  You could help me by having students and other groups, e.g.  church groups, fill out my research questionnaires, which are online at my web site.

6.  Together we could thus continue the research that can give empirical grounding to your movement and perfect the public polls necessary to operationalize public democracy, defining policy via citizen votes.

    This is enough for an introduction.  Please visit my web site to read various research and essay articles under the Publications page.  Politicalpsychologyresearch.com.

    I look forward to hearing responses.

    Best regards, Bill McConochie

William A. McConochie, Ph.D.
Licensed Psychologist #225 (Oregon)
71 E.15th Ave., Eugene, Or. 97401
541-686-9934
Bill(at)Politicalpsychologyresearch.com

Much about politics originates in our minds;
Understanding our minds explains much about politics.