02196: [WDDM] Amendment to the Constitution Proposed

From: Michael Stansfield <pure_democracy(at)yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 08:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [WDDM] Amendment to the Constitution Proposed

I don't know if any of you know this, but you as a citizen can submit an Amendment to the US Constitution.  I have completed the paperwork and the Amendment is rough draft.  Looking for feedback.  If you don't like the wording, please tell me how you would word it.  All my life, I've complained about government, but this time I can actually try to do something about it.  Remember if it gets too long or complex people tune out.  I need to find ways to simply the text so that average people can understand it and at the same time deeping the impact.  Also envitably I'll be looking endorsements and those willing to submit in other states - so agreement is needed in some form.  Also remember trying to find places of agreement that both left and right can agree upon as I'd like to think liberty transends politics.  Hopefully you will understand what I am typing to accomplish here in the text.

TITLE: Amends US Constitution in favor of public choice for taxation and expenses among Presidential Candidates.

RESULT IF MEASURE IS PASSED: Measure requires a majority vote in the state of Oregon, as well as thirty-three other states for passage.  If passed each Presidential Candidate would be required to submit the budget and tax before the people with election comes ratification of national budget.

RESULT IF MEASURE IS REJECTED: No change.

SUMMARY OF INITIATE: Allows public choice over federal taxation and spending levels by allowing the public, through the election of their president, to ratify the President’s taxation and national budget.  Also stipulates that congress may not vote in their salary, but rather their pay will be determined through their state legislature.

TEXT OF INITIATE:

We, the citizens of the great state of Oregon, upon the power granted us through the application of our legislature, under our rights in Article V of the US Constitution do submit the following Amendment to the United States Constitution:

·        National Taxation

o       The Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution is appealed as well as all other forms of direct taxation upon the end of the term of the sitting President to which the passage of this Amendment is passed.

o       Budget by Consensus

§         From that time forward all Presidential Candidates are to submit a four-year budget and tax-rate, (the tax rate may be single or apportioned by income levels) before they may be placed on ballot.

§         The budget and tax rate submitted must be available to the general public through the Internet or available Mass Media of the day and age.

§         The election of the President is also a ratification of his four-year budget.  No Capitation, or other Direct Tax, shall be laid.

o       Congressional Powers

§         Congress is prohibited from adding new forms of taxation, however, congress may modify tax deductions available through the normal legislative process.

§         Congress may submit a new budget or alter the level of taxation of the President’s budget under guidelines of the process in effect prior to passage of this Amendment.

§         Members of Congress may also contest the budget on constitutional grounds.  If found unconstitutional the President’s budget will be declared null and void, thus reverting to the previous years budget adjusted for inflation until a congressional budget is past.  If claim is made before the election the Supreme Court must act expediently to review the case.  If found unconstitutional the Candidate may resubmit until sixty days prior to the election.  If the expenses of the President’s budget exceeds revenue by greater than 50 Billion Dollars congress may declare the President’s Budget Void for the following year, provided the budget congress submits to the President is in balance (A declaration of war will void this exception).

o       Powers of the State Legislature

§         The United States Congress may not vote on their income levels or be provided any compensation for their duties from the Federal or International Government.  All compensation for members of Congress must come from the state of which they are representing.

§         No salary or compensation for duties may be less than that received by a Senator in the State Senate.

§         If the State Legislature alters the salary or compensation of their elected Congressperson the modifications will not take effect until the next term in office.

§         If the State Legislature believes their United States Senator is in violation of this, or any law or neglect thereof, or their constitutional oath of office, which is to be administered before the State Assembly, the State Legislature may revoke the Senator’s ability to run to re-election, provided the vote takes place more than six months prior to the primary election of that Senator’s seat.