02172: Re: [WDDM] [Fwd: [DW] Query - Civic Problem-Solving Using Social Media] ... CORRECTION

From: Doug Everingham <dnevrghm(at)powerup.com.au>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 17:31:50 +1000
Subject: Re: [WDDM] [Fwd: [DW] Query - Civic Problem-Solving Using Social Media] ... CORRECTION

SORRY–  In my message copied below
www.sciocracy.org  is WRONG.  It should read
www.sciocracy.org
–Doug
====

Dear Antonio Rossin & Steven Clift,

The practical examples quoted to me (as distinct from theoretical
planning) as guides to more democratic social structures include
• your (Antonio's) informed early parenting workshops,
• the  www.sciocracy.org examples, and
• several types of nested / cross-liaising networks of stakeholders
coordinating levels and inter-related fields of management /
control discussed by Shann Turnbull in many writings including
http://ssrn.com/author=26239

–Doug Everingham
====

From:   rossin(at)tin.it
Subject: [WDDM] [Fwd: [DW] Query - Civic Problem-Solving Using Social Media]
Date: 16 May 2009 7:28:49 AM
To:   wddm@world-wide-democracy.net

From: Steven Clift
Date: 16 May 2009 3:48:33 AM
To: newswire(at)groups.dowire.org
Cc: consult(at)groups.dowire.org

In a couple of weeks I am doing a presentation for a foundation that on top
of community engagement is interested in community problem-solving. I'd like
to share some great online examples.

Can you help me out?

The "e-democracy" world has extensively explored way to give the public a
voice online, attempted to create better input into government
decision-making, worked on transparency and information access, and of
course it has been used a tool for advocacy, protest, and election
campaigning.

* What _online assisted_ examples of community problem-solving, direct
citizen action addressing a need/goal, or engaging stakeholders in a more
effective and collaborative implementation of government or non-profit
program do you know about?

* What tools and models to they use?

* What lessons do they have to share?

Send input to: clift(at)e-democracy.org OR   http://e-democracy.org/contact

Or discuss publicly at:  http://groups.dowire.org/groups/consult

I hear terms like Government 2.0 picking up steam, but they still have
government rather than the public (Citizens 2.0) at the center which isn't
my vision for how this could work best at the local level in particular.
(Government 2.0 might be fine at the state and national level.) I explored
the concept of "public net-work" back a few years ago for the OECD -
http://stevenclift.com/?p=101 - which might just be what people now think of
as Gov 2.0. Those early examples need a refresh.

Anyway, as E-Democracy.Org's neighborhood and smaller rural community Issues
Forums - http://forums.e-democracy.org - are growing (one million page views
in the last year across our 15 community network), it is at that level I see
people just starting to move from talk toward action/problem-solving on some
issues.

A simple example is an effort to start a community garden launched on my
neighborhood forum - http://e-democracy.org/se - leading to a group meeting
in-person to move the idea forward. I wonder what additional online
tools/strategies might be deployed to super charge such an effort to help it
get to its goal  more effectively and efficiently?

I am also interested in tools for use by "problem solvers" meaning those
tasked to take action - say on a government task force with
non-profit/citizen stakeholders and real money to spend - and work in a more
online enriched collaborative manner? When you shift from input into initial
decision-making, to direct involvement in implementing the budgets allocated
after the main policy decisions were made, how can we do that work in a 2.0
sort of way?  (I am making the assumption that we are moving beyond closed
"we are your government, we will now serve you" models to something
different/better.)

Have thoughts? Examples?

Send input to: clift(at)e-democracy.org   http://e-democracy.org/contact
Or discuss publicly at:  http://groups.dowire.org/groups/consult

Thanks,
Steven Clift

- - - - -
Steven Clift - http://stevenclift.com
Executive Director - http://e-democracy.org
Editor - http://dowire.org
Follow me - http://twitter.com/democracy

Group home for Newswire - Steven Clift's Democracies Online Newswire:
http://groups.dowire.org/groups/newswire

Replies go to members of Newswire - Steven Clift's Democracies Online Newswire with all posts on this topic here:
http://groups.dowire.org/r/topic/4JDAY4mkP2qekyHTirGUlB

For digest version or to leave Newswire - Steven Clift's Democracies Online Newswire,
email newswire(at)groups.dowire.org
with "digest on" or "unsubscribe" in the *subject*.

Newswire - Steven Clift's Democracies Online Newswire is hosted by Democracies Online - http://dowire.org.