02065: Re: [WDDM] Is Free Speech FREE?

From: Giorgio Menon <giorgio.menon(at)pd.infn.it>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 08:33:15 +0200
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Is Free Speech FREE?

Bruce Eggum ha scritto:

Vijayaraghavan, Giorgio, Martin, WDDM members,

Is free speech Free?

Dear Bruce,
you're opening an old issue: anarchy vs rules. When maturity is not
present, rules MUST be present. The lack of maturity of a tiny
(irrelevant?) part of this group has brought us to this point, where the
rule of a moderated speech has become a necessity, according to some.
Let's consider that fact that we're ALL stuck thanks to such vicious
personalities. One single individual can spoil the work done by a group
in the years, this is the moral. I don't see moderation but as an
extreme solution, i like to see OUR common efforts as the best possible
way to show our maturity and commitment. This, in simple words, means
TAKING A FIRM STAND AGAINST THESE ATTEMPTS TO RESTORE DICTATORSHIP
WITHIN US. We ALL should say: "STOP! You're alone: we ALL reject these
methods and dialectics. Unless we ALL take a common stand before such
abuses we're bound to suffer from the lack of freedom. This is what
History teaches (or should teach) us.

Giorgio

PS I've been puzzled by the stetement of a possible President who
declares this group is junk now: no better ways to deal with problems
caused by (very few) vicious individuals?