01828: Re: [WDDM] A suggestion

From: Giorgio Menon <giorgio.menon(at)pd.infn.it>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 19:00:52 +0200
Subject: Re: [WDDM] A suggestion

Hi PVR,
i understand that logic is not a problem, as long as it doesn't become a
dictator in one's mind. Logic helps (and helps a lot, actually) and so
intuitions do. Compassion is a form of intuition occuring when someone
feels someone else's troubles. Modern societies have lost the art of
listening while constantly boost the habit of imposing. This means, of
course, that we are very familiar with logics while we don't know what
to do with our intuitions, and this very easily brings to excess like
patriotism, which is a way to honour our land which certainly deserves
respect but not our or others' blood.
You write "When we respect the feeling of others then integrative
thinking is possible".
But if our own feelings-intuitions are not respected, not even our
logic, how can integrative thinking be possible?
I humbly suggest that we, as community, should always feel committed to
sustain anyone who's in such situation. Especially within this ng.
I don't know if this will ever happen.

Regards

Giorgio

Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan wrote:

Dear All,
Sometime back Giorgio suggested that DD should primarily aim at
reducing pain among people. It is a good starting point and one, I
hope, is agreeable all.

Pain can be reduced if the other people's feelings are taken into
consideration. Hence we can say that DD should allow expression of
feelings of all sections of people.

If this focus on feelings is kept in view then we will not be bound by
the compulsions of logic and the action and reaction which follows.
Every opinion will be considered as someone's feeling.

What is happening now is that we are going round in circles by
discussions based purely on logic. Feeling is a more basic faculty
than logical thinking.

WDDM, if it is to fulfill its potential should move into the 'higher
logic' of feeling. When we respect the feeling of others then
integrative thinking is possible.

Will this happen?

PVR