01560: Reason for caution - all things are not as they appear.

From: Michael Stansfield <pure_democracy(at)yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 07:50:04 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Reason for caution - all things are not as they appear.

Reason for caution.  It the past years there have been many organizations without large amounts on money for lobbying, yet they have organized with large groups of people using email chains in a effort to info people of bills going before congress with unfavorable details.  The solution they devolped was to request their members email their congressmen when bills go before congress that they dislike.  Many congressmen were in-indated with emails.  As a result congress has passed legislation that if you want to ask someone to contact their representative you must register with congress as a lobbyist.  Therefore a lobbyist is everyone.  Or more appropriatily anyone that stands in the way of the powers of congress.  If the purpose of a representative is to represent the people in their district, than it is in opposition to democracy to force the public to register as a lobbyist to contact their congressman.  It is evident that congress is attempting to increase their own power base at the expense of the people and saddly it was the Democrats who wrote and passed this legislation.  I urge you to user caution with the term lobbyist, because in washington it is and can be used like the term communist to silence any voices from people in opposition to the power they dominate over us.

Reason for caution, Reason for Democracy,

Michael Stansfield

— Barack Obama, Speech in Des Moines, IA, November 10, 2007

At a Glance

Speak your mind and help set the policies that will guide this campaign and change the country.

Watch the Video

The Problem

Lobbyists Write National Policies: For example, Vice President Dick Cheney's Energy Task Force of oil and gas lobbyists met secretly to develop national energy policy.

Secrecy Dominates Government Actions: The Bush administration has ignored public disclosure rules and has invoked a legal tool known as the "state secrets" privilege more than any other previous administration to get cases thrown out of civil court.

Wasteful Spending is Out of Control: The current administration has abused its power by handing out contracts without competition to its politically connected friends and supporters. These abuses cost taxpayers billions of dollars each year.

Barack Obama's Plan

Shine the Light on Washington Lobbying

Shine the Light on Federal Contracts, Tax Breaks and Earmarks

Bring Americans Back into their Government

Free the Executive Branch from Special Interest Influence

Barack Obama's Record:

--
Bruce Eggum
Gresham Wisconsin, USA