01388: Re: Re: [WDDM] Simpol and True Democracy

From: "Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan" <vijayaraghavan.p(at)rediffmail.com>
Date: 1 Aug 2007 13:57:30 -0000
Subject: Re: Re: [WDDM] Simpol and True Democracy

Dear Antonio and all,
I have indicated in the course of several of my posts how a conscience-based political system can be ushered in. In fact WDDM has helped in improvising the original plan I have mentioned in my blog: http://musingsonpartylessdemocracy.blogspot.com . But let me update and summarize here what I have in mind:

1) The model of Roy Baine's www.myverdict.net is a good starting point. He has painstakingly collected names of about 140 countries, the primary divisions (states) of each of these countries and the secondary divisions of each of these primary divisions. Any person on earth belonging to one of these localities can thus express himself regarding matters concerning his/her area. I would suggest that we prepare a similar list but the names should be that of the constituencies at the state, district and sub-district levels so that the views expressed by voters of a particular constituency can consolidate and pave the way for action at the local level, either directly or through pressure exerted on the elected representative of that constituency (in terms of the prospects of him getting reelected or recalled if such a law is eventually passed). An example of exerting pressure of similar nature being already tried is given in the following link: http://www.alliance21.org/2003/article.php3?id_article=2455

Thus WDDM can be a platform for people to make their voice heard. The members who register themselves at WDDM can express on what they they would like to see happening with respect to their locality/state/nation on issues that concern them. Similarly they can express dissatisfaction on issues that affect them. Thus the individual's conscience is made the centre of all activity and not the views of a small minority belonging to the political or other elite classes.

2) In order to add weightage to the views of the people it should be made clear that if the members of a particular area feel that the elected representatives are failing in their task, then the voters would join together in the next ensuing election to campaign for the candidate (either an independent or belonging to a political party that believes in conscience-based governance) whom they believe would seriously take note of the people's views expressed on the WDDM (and other such platforms).

3) Eventually the above steps can lead to a situation where 'conscience-based governance' through 'partyless mechanism within the elected house' can be made into a law if the people so desire. The political parties would still exist but would be confined to promoting their particular ideology outside the elected house, having no role in actual governance.

The above step wise approach would allow freedom of thought to the people and would allow increasing degree of activism towards truer democracy depending on the need of the locality and the way the political parties respond to the challenge. Political parties and independent politicians would find that getting themselves registered at the WDDM and adopting the principle of 'conscience-based governance' would be advantageous to them. NGOs fighting for various social causes would find that supporting the WDDM by registering themselves in it would be of great help in promoting their respective causes.

The global approach of WDDM would be an advantage since the possible down-side of adopting 'conscience-based governance' to individual national economies in terms of losing competitiveness would be balanced by similar changes occurring everywhere. The global approach naturally would add to the appeal and credibility of 'conscience-based governance' to the common man.

There is vast scope of further refinement of the above proposal. I&R Tools like Enitiative can be integrated to facilitate deliberation
and decision making by the people.

I will post this under the proposal forum for what it is worth.

PVR