01262: Glossary a beginning

From: "Bruce Eggum" <bruceeggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:06:45 -0500
Subject: Glossary a beginning

glossary begin

Some of the difficulty of people of multi language / culture conversing is the meaning of words are often changed in translation, no word exists for translation, or different meanings of words.

I have tried to explain how people of the US understand the word government, to mean all agencies paid by taxes, federal monies which include the president, cabinet, military, roads, police, all agencies etc. To us government is all of it.

Here I copy the Swiss explanation of their "government". Here they say the people are the supreme authority, than identifies separate chambers or divisions which they are authority of.

Here, government is the "Executive Authority". [This seems to give the Prime Minister or Leader unfounded authority.]

My question is what word is used to describe all of it? The  Parliament AND The Executive Authority AND all the agencies which I think ?? includes the military, police, health, education, transportation, communication etc? AND included in all of it is the Court System.

The problems are in ALL of  it, not just one branch. The entire business is so interlocked that to correct one area, requires another area to also be changed. For instance, if the rules of the Supreme Authority are changed, the Parliament must change the affected law, and procedures to accommodate the change. The Court may review the change to determine if it is "Constitutional" but the court must change it's action to accommodate the change.

Thus we must see "All of it" not just a portion of it.

Thus the need of a WDDM Glossary.  Please tell me what term is used for all the government so we can add it to the Glossary. Thanks, Bruce (tell us other terms also)

Political organisation of Switzerland

The people: the supreme authority

According to the Federal Constitution, the Swiss people are sovereign and ultimately the supreme political authority. The concept includes all Swiss adults who are eligible to vote – some 4.8 million citizens, equivalent to around 60 per cent of the resident population. Those under the age of 18 and foreign nationals have no political rights at federal level.

The supreme authority elects

Parliament: the legislative authority

The Swiss parliament consists of two chambers which, when in joint session, are known as the United Federal Assembly. It is the country's legislative authority.

The National Council, through its 200 members, represents the population of the country as a whole – the individual cantons are represented in proportion to the number of their inhabitants.

The Council of States represents the 26 cantons – 20 cantons are represented by two members while the six former half-cantons each send one representative to the 46-strong chamber. Both chambers are directly elected by the people: the National Council, is elected in accordance with federal rules and the Council of States according to provisions differing from canton to canton. In both cases, the cantons form the constituencies.

The legislative authority elects

The government: the executive authority

The government of Switzerland consists of the seven members of the Federal Council, as well as the Federal Chancellor, and is elected by the United Federal Assembly for a four-year term. The President of the Swiss Confederation is elected each year and is considered Primus inter pares or first among equals during that time. He chairs the sessions of the Federal Council and undertakes special ceremonial duties.

The legislative authority elects

The Supreme Court: the judicial authority

The highest rulings in Switzerland are made by the Federal Supreme Court in Lausanne, the Federal Insurance Court in Lucerne and since 2004 by the Federal Criminal Court in Bellinzona. The court in Lausanne has 30 full-time and 30 part-time judges, that in Lucerne consists of 11 full-time and 11 part-time judges and the new court of first instance in Ticino currently has 11 judges.

--
Bruce Eggum
Gresham Wisconsin, USA