01206: Re: [WDDM] What the Hell is Democracy?

From: Mr Pras <mrpras(at)googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 08:18:41 +0200
Subject: Re: [WDDM] What the Hell is Democracy?

Hi Bruce

Thanks for your comments, although I wasn't aware that I was asking for feedback on my work on Social Computer. On this topic, my websites are outdated as I stopped work on the project some years ago. Secondly, there are about 30-40 documents online, of which 3 are dutch. Here is a link to an english one:
http://www.e2000.org/pras/soco/soco_ist2002.pdf Please remember this is a 5-year old BRAINSTORM for EC Information Society Technology research communities and not designed for a primarily political audience.

Last thing about Soco - "Your social computer component list is simply a file system." To me, this shows that you have not really looked at the work. There is no component list, apart from one metaphoric look at how an environment could resemble a computational model. There is no file-system there. Unless I misunderstand your meaning. There are many working models within the work, but I'm not ready just yet to give them away for free. I've recently discovered that some of the corporate technologies I have developed are much more exciting to the technology and business communities than I had imagined before.

The most important thing you said (in my opinion) was that you need the people to participate - and this, is the central aspect of my work. Reaching out to the citizens in all shapes and forms. This is what Social Computer does, and aims to do on a very broad level, since people are not interested in political science in general. This is why it takes two groups - one to form a solid action plan as you are all doing very well, and another to deal with the broader social issue of "how to get people to apply the power they wield".

This is, I believe, where my work is focussed - The Distributed Democracy Party was a brainstorm outcome based on the principle of an Open Source Government. Please don't look at it as a solution or a model, but an idea. In fact you can look at it as one of 50 project ideas in the last 6 months. One that has just sat on my hard drive collecting dust. Whether it's worth sharing in it's current state is questionable. Whether is will get people's attention? Of this I'm confident.

The Distributed Democracy Party

Pras Anand and Daniel Rosen

What?

A global political manifestation designed to bring a distributed democracy to any group who wants it. The Distributed Democracy is an open platform for distributed decision making. It is also responsible for bringing the project into the political system so that choices made are actual.

This revolutionises many aspects of Politics and Democracy as there are no more decision-making representatives. The representatives and politicians are only there to present and evangelise the peoples’ decisions. In this way the political system becomes populated by larger sectors of society – i.e. everyone.

Where?

Any city in countries that permit this kind of party will be invited to participate. It’s like a certified franchise system. Will be built on unix or linux systems (IE an open source governmental package for a server. Which can be run on a cheap computer etc etc)

How?

By combining the research, policy, technology and approach of Vox Populi and Social Computer we have created a new form of distributed political party. The party does not waste time discussing policies. Instead, we present them to people in interesting ways and engage them in the subject.

When?

Project research underway

Why?

It would be easier and shorter to write about why not. But I thought you would answer that question better, maybe I can add to it or you could quote me as you see fit – See Appendix I

The Name?

The “Distributed Democracy Party” search on Google provided ZERO results. At this point I presume that is because no-one else thought of it.

The truth is, I can see already why this wouldn't work. To change the existing system into a new one is impossible. The real way to solve the problem is to create an entirely new system that is run by the youth. One that is self-serving and managed openly. Basically you can imagine it as Open Source Governance. This is one of the prime sub projects of the Social Computer project, but I'm not ready to release any documents on that just yet. I am, however nearly at the stage of having teams around to achieve such goals, and when there is a project running, it might be a better time to talk about that.

Oh, and Bruce if you like I can email you a collection of about 35 soco research documents all in english.. Maybe you can help me get it organised :)

Pras

Pras