01121: Fwd: [sociocracy] Digest Number 373

From: "Bruce Eggum" <bruceeggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 22:06:17 -0500
Subject: Fwd: [sociocracy] Digest Number 373

Quite obviously Sociocracy can NOT apply to WDDM
This also brings into question the whole "consensus" rational.
I think we need to stick with voting. (democracy)
Bruce
Re: How to apply consent based decision making to a mailing list. From: Sharon Villines
1b.
Re: How to apply consent based decision making to a mailing list. From: Sharon Villines
1c.
Re: How to apply consent based decision making to a mailing list. From: John Roth
1d.
Re: How to apply consent based decision making to a mailing list. From: Sharon Villines

Messages

1a.

Re: How to apply consent based decision making to a mailing list.

Posted by: "Sharon Villines" sharon(at)sharonvillines.com   sharonvillines

Sat May 19, 2007 6:33 am (PST)

On May 18, 2007, at 11:26 PM, jhrothjr wrote:

> One of the members brought up consent based decision making, and I'm
> at a loss to figure out how to make it work in the mailing list
> environment. Within the moderation team, yes, although the two of us
> usually don't have much problem establishing procedures. It's getting
> the rest of the groups input that I'm a bit baffled about.

Consent decision making only works in a group of people who:

1. Share a common aim and
2. Can reflect together on how best to achieve that aim
3. The group consents to who is included in the group (and thus in
the decision making).

If these three conditions cannot be met, then majority vote or
autocratic decision making works best.

If you have a group of moderators, they can use consent amongst
themselves (if they can meet these two conditions). If the moderator
list is representative of the kinds of people on the list, they
should be able to make decisions that are in the best interests of
the people on the list. But, obviously, not every person with every
kind of aim.

The view from list members will be that the moderators are making
decisions autocratically because that is how an individual list
member will experience it.

Majority vote on a list will tend to produce a very homogeneous list
as the minority is voted down and leaves.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Coauthor with John Buck of the forthcoming
Consenting to a Deeper Democracy
The Essential Guide to Sociocratic Principles and Methods
Available May 2007

1b.

Re: How to apply consent based decision making to a mailing list.

Posted by: "Sharon Villines" sharon(at)sharonvillines.com   sharonvillines

Sat May 19, 2007 7:42 am (PST)

On May 19, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Sharon Villines wrote:

> If you have a group of moderators, they can use consent amongst
> themselves (if they can meet these two conditions).

Correction -- this should be three conditions. Common aim, reflecting
together, consent to membership in the decision-making group.

Sharon.

1c.

Re: How to apply consent based decision making to a mailing list.

Posted by: "John Roth" JohnRoth1(at)gmail.com   jhrothjr

Sat May 19, 2007 9:19 am (PST)

Thanks. That's what I though the answer was going to be.

Can I repost this to the XP list?

John Roth

> On May 18, 2007, at 11:26 PM, jhrothjr wrote:
>
>> One of the members brought up consent based decision making, and I'm
>> at a loss to figure out how to make it work in the mailing list
>> environment. Within the moderation team, yes, although the two of us
>> usually don't have much problem establishing procedures. It's getting
>> the rest of the groups input that I'm a bit baffled about.
>
> Consent decision making only works in a group of people who:
>
> 1. Share a common aim and
> 2. Can reflect together on how best to achieve that aim
> 3. The group consents to who is included in the group (and thus in
> the decision making).
>
> If these three conditions cannot be met, then majority vote or
> autocratic decision making works best.
>
> If you have a group of moderators, they can use consent amongst
> themselves (if they can meet these two conditions). If the moderator
> list is representative of the kinds of people on the list, they
> should be able to make decisions that are in the best interests of
> the people on the list. But, obviously, not every person with every
> kind of aim.
>
> The view from list members will be that the moderators are making
> decisions autocratically because that is how an individual list
> member will experience it.
>
> Majority vote on a list will tend to produce a very homogeneous list
> as the minority is voted down and leaves.
>
> Sharon
> ----
> Sharon Villines
> Coauthor with John Buck of the forthcoming
> Consenting to a Deeper Democracy
> The Essential Guide to Sociocratic Principles and Methods
> Available May 2007

1d.

Re: How to apply consent based decision making to a mailing list.

Posted by: "Sharon Villines" sharon(at)sharonvillines.com   sharonvillines

Sat May 19, 2007 9:31 am (PST)

On May 19, 2007, at 11:24 AM, John Roth wrote:

> Thanks. That's what I though the answer was going to be.
>
> Can I repost this to the XP list?

Yes -- just fix the "two" in the middle, replacing it with "three".

>> themselves (if they can meet these two conditions). If the moderator

Should read "three".

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines