01114: Regarding rule by representatives

From: "Vijayaraghavan Padmanabhan" <vijayaraghavan.p(at)rediffmail.com>
Date: 20 May 2007 12:21:22 -0000
Subject: Regarding rule by representatives

Dear All,
Continuing from my previous letter, an important matter to be decided before we formulate a mission statement is to decide whether by aiming at Direct Democracy, we are doing away with the concept of 'rule by representatives'. This particular view is held by some advocates of DD. While this may be the ideal theoretical goal, it may be nearly impossible in practice. We need to put our trust into somebody to take care of our concerns. This is the natural order of things in life. What we need is to have a mechanism where our representatives are directly accountable to the people and can be recalled at any time if sufficient people feel so. I request that members express their views regarding this since this is important to formulate a workable mission statement.

PVR