01100: Re: [WDDM] WDDM Elections

From: <WDDM webmaster>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 18:46:53 -0700
Subject: Re: [WDDM] WDDM Elections

Mark and all,
the quorum requirement has been given a lot of thought to prevent such
skewing up. A candidate has chance to win only if they accumulate enough
ratings from a large percentage of votings. I you have time, please read
the Center for Range Voting site: http://rangevoting.org, at least the
description of how the quorum works: http://rangevoting.org/WhyHalf.html
But of course, this whole exercise will require thorough examination
whether it should be emplemented more often.
Mirek

Mark Antell, editor CitizenPowerMagazine.net wrote:

Hi All,

Good to see us testing different methodologies for decision making.
Our charter encourages experimentation with deliberation and decision
thusly:
/6. Organizational Methods - commitment to direct democracy
WDDM will be an exemplar for direct democracy. As much as possible,
decision making power will flow from direct vote of the membership.
And we will strive to test and implement cutting-edge methods to
enhance deliberation.

/The 'range voting' method that Mirek has chosen (as election
administrator) for the board elections is interesting. I don't know
if it will work. It seems to me that a few very low or very high
votes might skew the results. But I'm sure that experience with the
method will prove more helpful than discussion alone. Similarly I'm
unsure about the enitiative concept. The goal (improving motions via
open input) is attractive enough. But I'd like to see how 'runaway'
modifications are prevented. Delightfully, our charter gives us room
to try it.

Mark Antell