01065: Re: [WDDM] Re: deliberation about the WDDM mission

From: "Jiri Polak" <jiri.polak(at)swipnet.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:20:02 +0200
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Re: deliberation about the WDDM mission

Doug´s suggestion is acceptable to me.
Jiri
----- Original Message -----
To: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:03 AM

I favor adoption of the mission statement as amended by Mirek's suggestions below.

If the full document is to be submitted for confirmation to all members of this group
I would also appreciate a vote on including after "planning cells" words like "and nested networks".
This refers to structures like those of Quakers, the Sociocratisch Centrum www.sociocracy.biz
and many outlined by the International Institute for Self-governance -- http://members.optusnet.com.au/~sturnbull/
(e.g. the Mondragón Cooperative Corporation),
I include "nested" as referring to liaison arrangements between planning cells (of relevant stakeholders) at adjoining levels of action/deliberation as well as between related interest/activity groups.)
-- Doug Everingham
====

Hi all,
The truth is that we are without approved mission, so maybe we should really start deliberation on the better wording of the mission (and not wait for the new board). So here is my suggestion how to change those contradictory sections identified by Dough below:

1.2   The power to formulate laws and policies must be vested directly in the People at all levels of societal life.
1.5 and 1.7 are actually very closely related - they refer to various tools/procedures of DD, so I  propose to  merge them into a new paragraph 1.5 that would read like this:

1.5   We advocate and will work toward the creation of a whole spectrum of tools that will facilitate the direct participation of every person in public affairs and governance, such as (but not limited to) peoples initiatives, referenda, recalls, planning cells, citizens juries, citizens forums, wisdom councils, electronic voting.
The old 1.8 would become 1.7, etc. - see http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/mission.php (as the old mission that was there was outvoted anyway, I  have just took the liberty to update it with the above tentative version; will of course update it further as need be).

Mirek

Doug Everingham wrote  on 13/04/2007 :

Hi Mark and all,

Thanks for progress so far.

For some reason the frst 10 lines of our message (all but the approved Charter section)
came to e with no limitation of line length -- the longest sentences took over 4 computer screen widths to read, but once copied (as below) it conformed to the exposed text width.

I'd appreciate (and perhaps others would too) a chance to deliberate on and recast the outvoted mission statement draft.

-- Doug Everingham
===

Doug Everingham wrote  on 18/03/2007 :

Dear Mark,

I refrain from voting for the draft charter because it includes at a page accessed via
www.world-wide-democracy.net
a mission statement which includes apparently contradictor sections:

1.2 The power to formulate laws and policies must be vested directly in the People without representatives at all levels of societal life.

and
1.5 Peoples Initiatives, backed by sufficient number of signatures, should mandate a binding Referendum and/or recall of unworthy representatives (I&R+R) decided by public vote.
and
1.7 We as 'Facilitators' shall endeavor to help citizens to setup Planning Cells, Citizen Juries, and Citizens Forums, as local bodies to supervise municipal and local administrations and public administrations. These 'Forums' will hear and attempt to settle issues, and if they cannot, then refer them either to the courts or to Citizens Parliaments.

-- Doug Everingham
=======