00956: WDDM Charter we Have a Charter, but not complete or activated

From: "Bruce Eggum" <bruce.eggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 00:45:49 -0600
Subject: WDDM Charter we Have a Charter, but not complete or activated

Dear WDDM Members

The topic is WDDM Charter, not various kinds of DD or government. If you want to advocate for a specific DD model or type, you can do so on WDDM Website using Forum and WIKI.

Here with simple English, the term Democracy can get all mixed up. Add other languages and cultures we become confused. What kind of democracy? There is liberal democracy – which declares Liberty and defines rights and freedoms. Than there is illiberal democracy which could be dictorial. Of course it is unnecessary to have a "representative" democracy unless it is chosen. Now, some want to eliminate democracy all together. There are some advantages to a "limited" representative democracy, but we have not discussed that yet. These issues are matters which come up when developing a Direct Democracy. We need to have structured discussion on many of these matters on Forum, which will also provide information for those seeking to implement some form of DD. So we have all kinds of terms, often used differently by each of us. Not wrong, but often not understood. Thus we have confusion and chaos.

This is why a charter or constitution is necessary to define the liberal or other type democracy or other method used in the government, organization. A Charter also can provide limits on power and other mechanisms which could lead to illiberal democracy or worse. Even with a government run entirely by the citizens, who vote on all issues, it would be necessary to define limits to keep the government structured as it was defined by the people.

More on this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

WDDM, is bound by the Founding Documents as to our procedures. The Initial method used I&R as the DD form for WDDM.

The Charter was never completed so this is our task, as well as to follow the Charter already prescribed by the WDDM Coordinating Committee. The charter under construction will have methods to propose initiatives, election procedures, "job descriptions" and limits of power for those "jobs" as well as requirements for accountability.

Bottom line, it could be written that any member may make an initiative proposing new, or questioning or changing existing structure. A referendum could be the decisive tool for all major matters. For some matters a simple consensus could bring approval. It depends entirely how the WDDM Members write the amended Charter. Than of course it must be approved by referendum. We must decide how we want to decide.

Because the WDDM Founding Documents have already structured us; http://tinyurl.com/y8c3j9

(snip)

 2. RULES OF MEMBERSHIP AND CONDUCT

2.0 PREAMBLE

2.1 WDDM is a voluntary movement of dedicated volunteers whose aim is to facilitate the people to govern their own societies. Members are acting independently in the country in which they live. Our Rules of Membership and Conduct (Rules) govern members only internally, and are offered as a guide for international audience.

2.2 WDDM is an international movement whose members rely mostly on the Internet for communication and decision-making by vote. As members of the Continuing Congress on Direct Democracy (CICDD) we will have conferences concurrently with it.

2.3 We the Founding Members established a Coordinating Committee (CC) consisting of 12 persons. Based on democratic principles, the role of the CC is to lead the WDDM Movement by overwhelming majority vote. The Membership of the CC remains permanent until the size of our membership will permit the rotation of its members.

2.4 The Coordinating Committee established the following 'Facilitating Roles': Giuseppe Strano, Secretary; Jiri Polak, Vice-Spokesperson and Editor-in-Chief of the Newsletter of Worldwide Direct Democracy (originally by the decision of the 1st Congress, reconfirmed by CC); George Sagi, Spokesperson. It is desirable to rotate all Facilitating Functions.

2.5 Proposals for a change and new proposals can be posted any time by any member. Detailed methods of executing these measures are given in the Rules of Conduct.

Obviously we need a Coordinating Committee, and Officers.

If this present Charter is to be amended, It would take a referendum to change it. However to even have a referendum, we need a method to make decisions or an election procedure and the necessary accountability in that process. WDDM needs this to conduct its own affairs.

It is very difficult to carry on a purposeful discussion on the WDDM Email list. Postings get lost. That ii why the website was developed so we could post proposals and others could post their views on it. Forum has that function and I suggest we use it.

Once again we got far off the point of discussion, (WDDM Charter) which is structure for WDDM. It would be best to continue this on the Forum so all could view and post their views.

I will be posting on the Forum; there are already some articles on the WDDM Charter posted on Forum. http://www.world-wide-democracy.net/

ATB Bruce

--
Bruce Eggum