00922: Netherlands Citizens Assembly

From: "Ted Becker" <becketl(at)auburn.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 14:03:44 -0600
Subject: Netherlands Citizens Assembly

Hi Filia:

Gosh, you guys and your worldwide "organizational" stuff. I warned
Mark Mantell not to get involved...but I guess it takes a ton of
frustration to make some folks learn. Jiri is always reasonable, but
most are...well what's a good English euphemism for them...."tunnel
visioned?" (That Italian guy is the worst) So, continue if you must,
but I'm glad I stuck to my guns in Athens and said "No way" for me to be
involved in any "charters" or "organizational structures"...unless...of
course...George Soros gives us a pile of money. Then.....maybe. At
least we would be haggling over something "real."

Another topic: I have been covering Citizens Assemblies in British
Columbia and now Ontario in the Journal of Public Deliberation for over
a year now. I have a correspondent assigned to keep us updated and I'll
have a good news article in JPD www.auburn.edu/jpd coming out this or
next week on the Ontario one.

As you well know, the Netherlands has had one too....albeit "advisory."
I have some material on this...but have been reluctant to cover it
because of its "advisory" nature. What do you think about it? If you
think it is worthwhile to do a "news" story....or to write a "Feature
Article" on it for JPD....I'd welcome your input. At least it's not all
talk...and some people are taking it seriously enough to participate in
an actual experiment in citizen deliberation.

Hope you agree.

Ted.