00894: re: wanted our little political party to act as an assembly

From: Richard Moore <rkm(at)quaylargo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:52:08 +0000
Subject: re: wanted our little political party to act as an assembly

Antonio Rossin wrote:
I wanted our little political party to act as an assembly, with all
the supporting village citizens to share-in and discuss proposal.
But no village citizen wanted to attend the assemblies, mostly
because -- let's suppose -- they feared from being seen and
attacked by other political authorities.

Hi Antonio,

Thank you for sharing your story. I think sharing our various stories would be a very good idea. This is how people reach consensus in dialog. When they get past debating positions, and get down to sharing their stories, then they can begin to work together to create a shared position that takes everyone's insights into account.

I think your assembly initiative is inspiring, and very much along the lines of my own model.

Actually, a war started with the traditional political parties.
Their leaders attacked us, by charging us with incompetence,
lack of social responsibility, wranglingness, undemocratic
riots-like behaviour etc.,

This is a very good sign! When the political establishment attacks you, that means you're pursuing a path to real democracy. If they coddle you, that means they think they can co-opt you.

-- but in the meantime all the policies
we wanted to be implemented in favour of our distant village
have been implemented.  Therefore, our political initiative has
been actually successful.
    ...All they wanted to obtain, it was some better representative
to decide for them.  All I wanted to obtain, it was themselves
to be able to decide awarely and responsibly by themselves.

You were successful in getting your proposals implemented, but you failed to create the democratic infrastructure you hoped for in your village. You achieved a standard victory in the context of political activism within the current political system. If you want to succeed in creating your village assembly -- a more radical goal -- then some of the suggestions in my Framework document might be useful to you.

best wishes,
richard