00850: Re: decisions at wider levels

From: Richard Moore <rkm(at)quaylargo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:38:47 +0000
Subject: Re: decisions at wider levels

Doug Everingham wrote:
I think everyone would like unanimous consensus.
It does occur at times even in current management schemes that rely on majority votes.
I' happy to agree that decisions should be made by total consensus
but hope we agree unanimously that this is unlikely to be attained
in every case.

No, we do not agree unanimously on that point, particularly if you are implying that voting would be a solution.

The kind of processes I'm talking about are not fundamentally about 'decision making', but rather about 'problem solving'. When your focus is 'decision making' then the scenario is usually about proposals being drafted outside the  process, and then the process 'makes a decision'. In such a scenario consensus is of minimal value.

In a 'problem solving' context, the group is together seeking to find a 'best solution' to the problems and issues of the day. It's  a creative collaborative process. When a group finds a solution by such a process, the participants all 'own' the solution, they don't just 'accept' it. It's much stronger than mere 'consensus', and it's more achievable as well.

happy solstice,
rkm