00729: Re: [WDDM] Re Daniel Rosen Martin Jackson

From: Filia den Hollander <holla(at)xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:48:43 +0100
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Re Daniel Rosen Martin Jackson

Hi Pras,

Thanks for your good contribution(s). I agree that if we look at good practices, we might learn from them. Even if they have flaws, we could pick up the good elements and investigate how we can improve them.

You wrote:
I have the feeling people here in Europe don't appreciate how great far their governments have come.
Yeah, I can see your point – compared to some other countries. However, my sense is that representative democracy desperately needs renewal, otherwise it becomes a “fossil” - it’s there and it’s powerful, simply because it’s there and has power.

Kind regards,
Filia den Hollander

op 07-11-2006 11:17 schreef Pras Anand:

Thanks Martin,

www.sewa.org <http://www.sewa.org>  is an example of a system than helps to protect,support and govern the lives of poor women in india and get them into self-employment.

I am not in a position to list many examples of good governance, what I was saying is that there are many examples going on every day on smaller levels.

I could suggest that the northern european nations in general have many good processes and practices (the dutch system is based on the minoans.

The purpose of my statement was to say that if we look even for a short time, we can find examples of positive change and good governance.

I also get the feeling that if i was to start listing examples, you would have great arguments about why each are not good practices, someone else would have another point of view - and we'd all be running around the same problem of arguing without any productive outcome.

I would like to say also that there are many people building methods and tools which I believe can create good governance. Perhaps there have not been more than a handful of positive governments (i have the feeling people here in Europe don't appreciate how great far their governments have come) but there can be change brought about through interaction.

I can recommend searching for "good governance" on google and see who is putting money behind that buzzword. It's worth looking into that.

Regards

Pras