00708: **GLOBAL DEMOCRACY NEWSLETTER** (Issue # 002, Year 1) First Fortnight November 1-15, 2006

From: "Shishir Srivastava" <shishir(at)wmgd.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:14:23 +0530
Subject: **GLOBAL DEMOCRACY NEWSLETTER** (Issue # 002, Year 1) First Fortnight November 1-15, 2006

Dear Friends,

Please find below the second issue of Global Democracy Newsletter (also available at http://www.wmgd.net/archive/30102006.html)

On 31 October 2006, we have launched the World Movement for Global Democracy (WMGD) that aims to gather listing of the most promising proposals and initiatives for solving our primary global problems and challenges and developing an active network of people and organizations that will promote and support these initiatives. We cordially invite you/your organization to join this movement.

The official website of World Movement for Global Democracy  is www.WMGD.net For any comments on the website, please email Suresh Kumar, Webmaster and Coordinator eForum at suresh(at)wmgd.net

You are also invited to join the Global Democracy eForum at http://wmgd.net/forum and we invite you to post your proposal/s and comments on this section.

We also invite your feedback on this issue of the newsletter and also your contribution through articles/alterts/conference/events/report/book release or any other relevant issues related to peace building and global democracy. We request you to please send your contribution by 10 November 2006 for the next issue scheduled on 16 November 2006.

Looking forward to hear your from you on this issue of the Global Democracy Newsletter and your views on the World Movement for Global Democracy.

With best wishes,

Shishir Srivastava
Editor, Global Democracy Newsletter
City Montessori School (CMS), Lucknow, India
=============================
“History is now choosing the founders of the World Federation. Any person who can be among that number and fails to do so has lost the noblest opportunity of a lifetime.” Carl Van Doren
=========================

(Issue # 002, Year 1) First Fortnight November 1-15, 2006

**GLOBAL DEMOCRACY NEWSLETTER**

International e-Newsletter promoting peace building, unity, human rights and global democracy activities
for creating a new world civilization
Global Democracy Newsletter carries news from all over the world relating to the non governmental organizations and institutions engaged in global democracy activities around the world. It is distributed free of charge through Internet to the editorial offices of more than 1,500 media in 30 countries and to over 20,000 NGOs in 125 countries

www.wmgd.net

To subscribe, please send an email to newsletter-subscribe(at)wmgd.net
To unsubscribe, please send an email to newsletter-unsubscribe(at)wmgd.net

To submit an article, send your contribution to Editor: Shishir Srivastava, email: article(at)wmgd.net

Contents
**********************************
-- Quotes of the Week
-- Conferences and Events
-- Articles of the Fortnight

-- Book Release
-- Civil Society World News
-- Courses and Workshops
-- How to submit an article in this Newsletter
-- How to subscribe and unsubscribe from this newsletter

**********************************

1) Quotes of the Week

1.1) “Never believe that a small group of people can’t change the world…indeed, they are the only ones who do.” —Margaret Mead

1.2) “You never change things by fighting the existing reality…. To change something ... build a new model
that makes the existing model obsolete.” —Buckminster Fuller

1.3) "A world government with powers adequate to guarantee security is not a remote ideal for the distant future.
It is an urgent necessity if our civilization is to survive."  —Albert Einstein.

top

2) CONFERENCES/EVENTS

2.1) Making Globalisation Work
2.2)
International Conference for the Reform of International Institutions
2.3)
India Social Forum to take place
2.4)
Global Symposium: ‘Towards a New World Civilization’
2.5)
World Social Forum meeting in Africa

2.1) Making Globalisation Work
10 November 2006, Felix Meritis, Amsterdam
Joseph Stiglitz was a consultant to President Bill Clinton, held a top position at the World Bank, and was awarded the Nobel Prize for Economics in 2001. In 2002, he made a name for himself and became a darling of the anti-globalisation movement with his fundamental criticism of the functioning of both the World Bank and the IMF. Stiglitz, who is currently a professor at Columbia University , will deliver a lecture on Globalisation and its Discontents at the Felix Meritis European Centre for Arts and Sciences. For more information (in Dutch, see www.globaliseringslezing.nl

2.2) International Conference for the Reform of International Institutions20-21 November 2006, Geneva, Switzerland
The World Forum of Civil Society Networks - UBUNTU (www.ubuntu.upc.edu) and the World Campaign for In-depth Reform of the System of International Institutions (www.reformcampaign.net) are pleased to announce, and warmly invite you to participate in the International conference for the reform of International Institution, in the form of Dialogues between different levels of governance and civil society actors, to be held on 20 and 21 November 2006 in the headquarters of the ILO (International Labour Organization) in Geneva. To participate in the UBUNTU International Conference please complete the Registration Form at www.reformcampaign.net/?lg=eng&pg=ginebra_2006&que=fitxa, or contact Josep Xercavins at josep.xercavins(at)ubuntu.upc.edu.

2.3) India Social Forum to take place 9-13 November 2006, India
The India Social Forum (ISF) 2006 is expected to be attended by nearly 60,000 people from India , Asia and Africa. The ISF will be held at the Exhibition Ground, Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium with the theme “Building Another World: Visions for the Future”. The upcoming India Social Forum (ISF) 2006 focuses on engendering dialogue, optimism and hope, by creating a space that will enable a greater mobilisation of resources for an alternative future within India, Asia, and Africa. For more information, see http://southasia.oneworld.net/article/view/141122/1/1893

2.4) Global Symposium: ‘Towards a New World Civilization’
8-11 December 2006, India
The objective of the Global Symposium is to foster personal interaction, mutual understanding and action for a strong foundation of a nuclear-free, democratic, sustainable, just and peaceful new world order by bringing together civil society organizations, global and local leaders in the fields of art, science, religion, culture and media. The Global Symposium will also serve as the launch pad for the “Global Action Plan” for building the World Movement for Global Democracy (WMGD) www.wmgd.net and we would like your organization to play a leading role in the foundation of this World Movement. For more information, see
http://www.cmseducation.org/symposium  Registration closes 25 November 2006

2.5) World Social Forum meeting in Africa
20-25 January 2007, Nairobi, Kenya
The World Social Forum International Council in its meeting held in Parma, Italy, from 10-12 October 2006 have advanced in the preparation for the next edition of World Social Forum, be held in Nairobi, 20-25 January 2007. The World Social Forum is an innovative process, which continues to expand and deepen itself through world, regional, national, local and thematic events as well as struggles, campaigns and actions that reaffirm commitment for another world that is possible, necessary and urgent. For more information, see http://oneworldafrica.org/sasf/eventsdetails.php?event_id=00000012

top

3) Articles of the Fortnight

3.1) A “Democracy vs. Fundamentalism” know-how
by Antonio Rossin

3.2) Global Democracy and the African Children’s Parliament
by Glen T. Martin

3.3) A Peaceful Option of Choice
by Dr. Klaus Schlichtmann, Japan

3.4) Call for Round Tables for Peace and a Department of Peace in Governments the Global Round Table for Peace Initiative
by Dr Michael Ellis

3.5) The Global Improvement of the Social Situation of the Poorest
by Otfried Schrot

3.6) The Korean Nuclear-weapon Crisis
By Rene Wadlow

3.7) UBUNTU IS ORGANIZING AN AMBITIOUS CONFERENCE ON REFORMING OUR SYSTEM OF GLOBAL GOVERNANCE
by Rob Wheeler

3.8) A Letter to World Citizens
by Dr. Wolfgang Fischer MHF, München

top

4) Book Release

4.1) "TRANSFORMATION: Human Success through Joyful Activism"
By Hank Stone
President of Citizens for a United Earth (www.c-u-e.org)

SUMMARY
The U.S. and the world face big and interlocking problems: overpopulation, global warming, peak oil, fresh water shortages, famine, ignorance, poverty, and injustice. And the continuing nuclear threat, and the $1 trillion-per-year war system.
Reasonable people look at these big problems, and turn away. In their personal and professional and family lives, after all, they can find enough challenges.
Even some of my most committed activist friends get discouraged. After all, the Internet now shows us an overwhelming spectrum of misdeeds, injustices and threats. We can hardly keep track of what’s wrong, let alone find solutions.
So why aren’t I discouraged? When I figured it out, I wrote this book, featuring the Ten Rules for Joyful Activism.
The world’s problems are bringing about a transformation that will end our way of life. We cannot avoid this transformation. The future cannot be a continuation of the past. But we can direct the transformation toward a successful human future.
The good news is that this isn’t as hard as it sounds. But there is a catch. The U.S. can’t succeed by leaving the rest of the world behind. We can’t solve just half the problems. We can’t leave nuclear weapons lying around anywhere in the world. We can’t go forward with large numbers of people starving and dying of preventable diseases. The way forward can not be business as usual, trying harder, or bravely struggling against adversity. We have to get the whole job done.
We will need to cooperate and negotiate with peoples around the world. But standing in the way of cooperation is the idea that America is more deserving, or blessed, than other countries. We are living in cultural stories that have given us advantages, including relative wealth and privilege. They are part of our self image. But our cultural stories have also caused the big problems threatening humankind, and are now obsolete.
We must create new cultural stories, in which all human beings win. Our new stories will create new expectations, new instructions and new paths of action. We are reassembling the caterpillar into the butterfly. This is "creative activism."

Creative activism is the way we can change our cultural stories. Creative activism can’t be done within the mindset of the present cultural story.
With the Ten Rules for Joyful Activism, we will think on a big scale, without distress. We will let go of fear and blame and anger. We will summon the humility to revolutionize our thinking. We will end war; protect the ecosystem; and provide for the survival and sustainable prosperity of all.
There is a movement to transform the human future for success. Read the book. Talk to your friends. Help make it happen. Enjoy!

Hank Stone lives with his wife of thirty six years on 75 acres in Ionia, outside Rochester, NY.  He is president of Citizens for a United Earth (www.c-u-e.org), president of the Coalition for Democratic World Government (www.cdwg), on the board of The American Movement for World Government, and on the board of advisors to the Democratic World Federalists.  He is a member of Genesee Valley Citizens for Peace, the Peace Action and Education taskforce of Metro Justice, and Citizens for Peace of Honeoye, NY.  Hank participates regularly in peace vigils, letter-writing, and discussion groups.

4.2) GRACE Pilgrimage for a Future Without War
Those who are walking in the name of GRACE do not come to judge. They do not come to put a new ideology on a country or a land or its people, rather they come in the service of openness, of perception and of support.
GRACE pledges not to aggravate war but to end it where ever one happens to be.”
(Sabine Lichtenfels)
In June 2005, shaken by the threat of a possible war against Iran, with the question what one single person can do to stop future wars, Sabine Lichtenfels decides to undertake a pilgrimage. She gives away everything she owns, covers long stretches on foot and is without any money. Her driving force is the decision to uncover and change those internal structures which externally lead to war and violence. Doing this, she discovers a strength which begins to shine for ever clearer and brighter:"GRACE", the connectedness with creation, empowers her to follow her inner voice more precisely and more thrustingly than before. It is "something that is stronger than any government or any army – because it is at home in the hearts of all human beings".
Her journey takes her from Germany via Switzerland to Italy and Greece and from there to Israel/Palestine. Together with Benjamin Mendelssohn she leads a group of 40 pilgrims, Israelis, Palestinians and Internationals, through the unique landscape of Northern Israel and from there to the other side of the wall into the occupied territories of the West Bank, through refugee camps, a jewish settlement and on to Jerusalem.
In the name of "GRACE" support actions and unusual encounters take place, walls of fear and rage which for a long time have seemed insurmountable are now crumbling. With strong feminine authority and directness a woman describes her steps against the war. It is a truthful and deeply humane voice that is speaking. GRACE grows to be a force that overcomes walls and effects change where ever people are committed to peace and self-change. It is also a voice that takes a stand for a global future perspective: "The Middle East is about more than the fate of two peoples. If peace is achievable here then something new will have been achieved for human kind. “
On November 9th, 2006 a book release will take place in Berlin. The author, two of her closer cooperations partners Benjamin von Mendelssohn (Peace Research Village Association, Berlin) and Sami Awad (Holy Land Trust, Bethlehem, Palestine), will be present. For current information please go to our homepage: www.grace-in-berlin.net
The historical date of November 9 was chosen to remember the "Reichspogromnacht" (Crystal Night) 1938 and the opening of the Berlin wall in 1989. In 2005, on November 9th, meditations developed by Sabine Lichtenfels took place all over the world, for example at the wall in Baqqa (Israel) and in Auschwitz. This year, the meditation will take place in Berlin. Groups in Europe, Colombia, India, Israel and Palestine will join. Whoever is interested is invited to join! Please contact us.
The book is available in German at the end of October. By the end of 2006 the English translation is planned to be printed. Translations in other languages are planned. We are thankful for all support.

May Peace Prevail on Earth !
Janni Hentrich
in the name of the Community

Verlag Meiga, ISBN 3-927266-23-X, geb. 296 S., 42 farb. Abb.
www.grace-in-berlin.net
info(at)grace-in-berlin.net

top

5) Civil Society WORLD News

5.1) Nobel prize for Turkish writer focuses attention on civil society issues
5.2) Bahrain civil society welcomes election watchdog role
5.3) Human Rights Watch honours global rights defenders Disabled Russian activists decry their nation’s apathy
5.4) Disabled Russian activists decry their nation’s apathy
5.5)
Civil society concerned about Canada’s ‘quiet free trade agreement’
5.6) Civil society applauds South Africa's Security Council seat
5.7) Join the Global Accountability Index blog
5.8) A Transparency Charter for international financial institutions (IFIs)

5.1)  Nobel prize for Turkish writer focuses attention on civil society issues
In awarding the 2006 Nobel Prize for Literature to Orhan Pamuk, the Swedish Academy stressed the Turkish author’s literary skill. However, analysts and critics see unmistakeable evidence of political motives in the decision-making. Pamuk has a relatively small body of work for a Nobel laureate, but he has been a literary pioneer in trying to fuse Western and Islamic cultures, and has emerged as an outspoken proponent of free speech inside Turkey. For more information, see
www.eurasianet.org/departments/civilsociety/articles/eav101306.shtml

5.2) Bahrain civil society welcomes election watchdog role
A decision to allow all licensed NGOs to monitor the election process in Bahrain has been welcomed by civil groups. However, some said the decision by the elections Supreme Committee didn't go far enough because it does not include provisions for international monitors. The new rule restricts election monitoring to Bahraini citizens only, but Bahrain Human Rights Society assistant secretary general Dr Abdulla Aldeerazi said he didn't see this as a major problem. The decision follows pressure from NGOs to allow them to monitor the elections independently, rather than as part of a committee formed by the judiciary. For more information, see www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=158988&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=29210

5.3) Human Rights Watch honours global rights defenders
Human Rights Watch will give its highest honor on November 2 to three leading activists working to defend human rights in Mexico, Nepal and Zimbabwe. Human Rights Watch works closely with these courageous, brave individuals as part of its defense of human rights in more than 70 countries around the world. "The activists we honor have shown dedication to the cause of human rights," said Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch. "They have worked courageously, often in life-threatening environments, to expose rights abuses in their countries." For more information, see www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/HRW/ab47e30c5a74af70dd1c56a2a51783cb.htm

5.4) Disabled Russian activists decry their nation’s apathy
There was a sense of urgency at this week's conference of the All-Russian Society of Invalids, or VOI. The conference drew more than 100 delegates from more than 70 regions to discuss how to counter a raft of new laws setting back the nation's nascent disabled-rights movement. Recent legislation has made it tougher for companies to hire disabled people, cut payments to the disabled, and limited the number of specially equipped cars, prosthetic limbs and other devices that make everyday life easier. For more information, see www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2006/10/19/003.html

5.5) Civil society concerned about Canada’s ‘quiet free trade agreement’
One of the agreements the Canadian government is trying to finalise is the Central America Four Free Trade Agreement (CA4TA) with Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua. Talks were suspended in February 2004 over a failure to resolve issues of contention. The Canadian Association of Labour Lawyers (CALL), an association of over 350 progressive lawyers that has worked to promote legally enforceable rights for workers in the Americas, has "serious reservations that the proposed CA4TA will benefit workers in Central America or Canada." It uses past trade agreements, such as NAFTA and CAFTA, to point out historical deficiencies in the area of workers' rights when it comes to international trade. For more information, see http://upsidedownworld.org/main/content/view/463/1

5.6) Civil society applauds South Africa's Security Council seat
The country's major civil society groups have applauded South Africa's future participation in the United Nations Security Council. South Africa takes up its two-year seat on the Security Council in January after it was elected to it with 186 votes out of 192 UN member states. It will be one of 10 non-permanent members joining permanent members Britain, the United States , China, France and Russia to make up the 15-member Security Council. For more information, see www.sabcnews.com/world/other/0,2172,136901,00.html

5.7) Join the Global Accountability Index blog
In December this year, the One World Trust will release the findings of the 2006 Global Accountability Index. The Index will assess 30 of the world’s most powerful organisations from intergovernmental, corporate and non-governmental sectors. The accountability of these organisations will be analysed according to four key criteria on transparency, participation, evaluation, complaint and response mechanisms. The focus of the index will be on existing systems and structures and forms of commitment to accountability at the head offices of the organisations. For more information, see www.oneworldtrust.org/?display=index_2006

5.8) A Transparency Charter for international financial institutions (IFIs)
Drawn from international law and best practices adopted by democratic states, the GTI “Transparency Charter for International Financial Institutions: Claiming our Right to Know” is a forward-looking statement of the standards to which IFI access to information policies should conform. Aimed at inter-governmental organisations whose primary activities relate to financial matters such as the World Bank, regional development banks, the IMF and the WTO. The GTI Charter advocates a rights-based approach leading to a radical overhaul of existing IFI information disclosure policies as part of efforts to overcome the serious democratic deficit at these institutions, as well as to promote a better climate for policy development, decision-making and project delivery. For more information, see www.ifitransparency.org/activities.shtml?x=44474&als[select]=44474

top

6) COURSES/WORKSHOPS

6.1) How to thrive in an uncertain environment
6.2)
Online course: Transforming Civil Conflicts
6.3)
Oxfam International Youth Partnerships 2007-2010
6.4)
Master of Arts Programme in Democracy Studies at Georgetown University
6.5)
MA Critical Disability Studies Applications

How to thrive in an uncertain environment

4 November 2006, London, UK
This is a scenario planning workshop that aims to give introductory insights into the scenario planning methodology or process. You should attend if: 1) you are curious about scenario planning and organisational learning; 2) you want to know more about the art of developing a long term view; 3) you are keen to learn how to recognise risks and opportunities in an uncertain environment; and 4) you are prepared to be highly interactive and open to different and sometimes challenging views. For more information, see http://pioneersofchange.net/localnetworks/london

Online course: Transforming Civil Conflicts
Application Deadline: 13 November- 9 December 2006
Transforming Civil Conflicts is an online course developed by the Network University in cooperation with Bradford University. This award-winning four-week course familiarises participants with contemporary theories of conflict and conflict resolution, provides a range of relevant information on conflict on the Internet, and practical issues and debates from within the field. For more information, see www.eldis.org/cf/rdr/rdr.cfm?doc=DOC22623

Oxfam International Youth Partnerships 2007-2010
Application Deadline: 31 January 2007
Oxfam International Youth Partnerships is a global network of young people working with their communities to create positive, equitable and sustainable change. Between 2007 and 2010 300 young people will have opportunities to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding and to talk and share with other young people. They will be able to use these opportunities to support their work in their own communities. Their participation in OIYP will start in April 2007. If selected, young must be available to attend a workshop in October 2007 in Sydney , Australia . For more information, see www.iyp.oxfam.org

Master of Arts Programme in Democracy Studies at Georgetown University
Application Deadline: 15 February 2007
The Center for Democracy and Civil Society has established a two-year Master of Arts Programme in Democracy Studies through the Department of Government. Intended to meet the diverse needs of all those who seek a deeper understanding of democracy and processes of democratisation, the ground-breaking programme will be of special interest for those seeking to develop careers working on behalf of democratic change in a wide range of professional and academic settings, in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors. For more information, see www.georgetown.edu/centers/cdacs/mawelcome.htm

MA Critical Disability Studies Applications
Application Deadline: 1 March 2007
Applications for entry to the Fall 2007/08 session of the MA Critical Disability Studies program at York University are now being accepted. Prospective students are encouraged to apply and are also invited to attend Graduate Open House to be held on 11 November 2006. Information and admission details pertaining to the graduate programme are outlined on the programme website at www.atkinson.yorku.ca/cdis. For more information on registrations, see www.yorku.ca/web/futurestudents/graduate/openhouse.html

top

How to submit an article in this Newsletter

To submit articles or other information, please send us an email at article(at)wmgd.net

How to subscribe and unsubscribe from this Newsletter
To subscribe, please send an email to newsletter-subscribe(at)wmgd.net

To unsubscribe, please send an email to newsletter-unsubscribe(at)wmgd.net

TELL A FRIEND!
Do you have a friend who might be interested in this newsletter?
Would you like to share this newsletter with them? Please forward their e-mail address to newsletter-subscribe(at)wmgd.net – Thank you!

GLOBAL DEMOCRACYe-Newsletter Team:
Chief Patron:Mr Jagdish Gandhi, Founder-Manager, City Montessori School, Lucknow, India

Suresh Kumar (Coordinator, Internet Forum)
Rakesh Sonkar (Coordinator, Education Forum)
Tariq Khan (Coordinator, Civil Society Forum)
Syed Qarar Hasan (Coordinator, Youth Forum)

Shishir Srivastava (Editor and Coordinator, Democracy Forum)

GLOBAL DEMOCRACY
e-Newsletter  is an initiative of Personality Development and Career Counselling (PDCC) Department of City Montessori School (CMS), Lucknow, India

top