00643: Re: internet should be an ideal way of communicating

From: Richard Moore <rkm(at)quaylargo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:37:03 +0100
Subject: Re: internet should be an ideal way of communicating

Bernard Clayson wrote:
The internet should be an ideal way of communicating ...... but the usual
human reaction is to react instead of consider.

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for the dialog.

Consider the role of a facilitator in a face-to-face session. Rosa Zubizarreta has described the primary role as being a 'designated listener' - 'holding the space' so that everyone is heard, maintaining a shared thread of dialog, a shared focus. Without such facilitation, we just have a 'normal' meeting,  where people 'react instead of consider'.

It seems to me that most Internet dialog is just that - a meeting without facilitation. If this observation makes sense, then it would be desirable to figure out how a facilitator might do their job in an online setting. For openers, such a facilitator would need to be someone that everyone trusted to be both sensitive and neutral.

rkm