00367: Re: Education

From: Bruce Eggum <bruce.eggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:36:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Education

Dear Tonguessy, Georges, Antonio and all,

Yes, Antonio stresses the need for parents to teach children to be open, have their own thoughts and discuss them. This is good, but it does not go far enough. There are  many "teachers" and society is one of them. Thus a society which does not embrace free thought, does not accept new ideas and ways of thinking, the individual will be shut down again.

DD is of course necessary to free people, to be people.

Than too the curriculum of schools, as well as the way things are taught needs to be looked at objectively.

I believe, we can not all be all things. We each have our areas of expertise. There could be groups of people with specific talents in developing education, curriculum and teaching methods. These groups could than offer their combined results as an initiative to be considered by the rest of the people.

I believe also that other fields, medical, mental health, society, economics, etc could all be areas where like minds of DD people could combine their knowledge and "suggest" these results to the people to bring to the "government".

Perhaps we could start an educational blog or list?

Thanks for this topic,
Bruce Eggum

On 6/25/05, Georges Metanomski wrote:
Tonguessy:

Hi Georges,
and welcome back.
I've read with interest your suggested articles at:
http://members.fortunecity.com/georges/workshops/democracy/index.html

Now, since this list seems to be too quiet i'd like to stir the waters
a bit. You say:
=====================================
Comment
-------
Due to our education system we are governed, judged, looked after and
taught by
people who do not deserve a driving license let alone a high school
diploma.
The system favors and promotes people whose main merit consists in
having fathers
being born before them and stuffs them with complex, esoteric and
useless details
without touching the essence of science, art, reason and creativity.

Conclusion
----------
Aberrant education system seems to be one of major problems of our
society.
=================================
You last statement implies that:
1-there's an aberrant education which causes
2-major problems in our society.

This is your viewpoint, and i fully agree. But, using relative terms,
we should try to "see" this situation with the eyes of the society or
the education, for i'm convinced that no real change can ever occur if
the subject has no will of change.
In other words i'd say that the aberrant education is functional to
what you call the major problems of our society, but others call
progress, civilization, culture, science etc.... Which produces an
aberrant education, just to play it safe.
What values do common people attach to "education" (ie school)? Better
jobs, usually. Thus more money. I live in a region (Northeast Italy)
where music has always been considered anything but a part-time hobby,
while the academic instruction has always been considered the most
intelligent thing that a teenager could conceive and learn.
And this has nothing to do with the political belief of the family:
they might be marxists or fascists, their opinion about this is pretty
the same. Thus the official education is a transversal "need" caused
by recent memories of scarcity (IMHO). We need more, we need it now.
This transversal need plays a fundamental role in our societies and
makes aberrant education possible. Such education is aberrant for
some, but plausible for many. Those "many" might not consider the
current education a problem. They'd rather identify minor bugs in it
and fix them.
Or, as Giuseppe Tomasi Di Lampedusa in his "il Gattopardo" says:
"If we want everything to remain as it is, it will be necessary for
everything to change."

Best regards

Tonguessy
G:
Nothing can be IMO more true. Still, there are unnumerable possible
changes, so what and how may and should be changed?

We are currently running the Democracy Workshop, which narrows down
the scope of desirable changes, mainly in the chapter "Transition
to Democracy".

Could you, please, try to put your comment in this context?

Cheers
Georges

PS. Navigation:

http://members.fortunecity.com/georges/workshops/democracy/index.html

postulates, definitions and principles
democracy is the best form of governance
3 function forum
proper education
TRANSITION TO DEMOCRACY

which brings us to
http://members.fortunecity.com/georges/demo_archive/transition_to_democracy.html

--

"In sharing, in loving all and everything, one people naturally found a due portion of the thing they sought,
      while in fearing, the other found need of conquest."

Bruce Eggum, Gresham Wisconsin, USA
http://doinggovernment.com/
Check out my Blog too
http://doinggovernment.blogspot.com/