00362: Re: [cicdd] Mission Statement

From: Antonio Rossin <rossin(at)tin.it>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:30:30 +0200
Subject: Re: [cicdd] Mission Statement

At 18:37 +0200 20-06-2005, Jiri Polak wrote:
Dear all,
at the coming September Conference in Prague, we shall try
to produce a generally acceptable Mission Statement for the
renewed global organization. Most of you will probably not
attend, but I would like you to comment on the two previous
mission statements formulated in June 2001 and November 2001.
(See the respective Newsletters.)
June 2001: We, global citizens, join in an educational effort to
inform People that all political power originates from them -
they are sovereign - and that they have the inherent right to
exercise the legislative powers associated with that sovereignty,
to create and alter governments, constitutions, and laws.
The People´s sovereignty and its exercise are the First Principles
of human governance. First Principles can be used to establish
direct democracy in any country trat truly is a democracy.
We pledge ourselves to inform and assist People in bringing
about direct democracy within their nations so that the People
can share in the central power of government - lawmaking.
The People, as lawmakers, will then be able to directly involve
themselves in their own self-governance.
November 2001: We, members of the Worldwide Democracy
Movement, believe that all citizens have the right to directly
perform lawmaking and other governmental functions in any
polity in which they live. Therefore we seek to develop and
promote any participatory processes which allow people to
exercise their rights to make their own laws and/or manage
their own government. Your comments and suggestions will
be taken into account by the participants of the Conference.

Thanking you in advance, I remain with my best regards,
Jiri Polak
<jiri.polak(at)swipnet.se> jiri.polak(at)swipnet.se

June 2001.
Establishing Direct Democracy into a country "t[h]at truly is
a democracy" sounds like carrying coals to Newcastle.
I mean, any "true" democracy cannot but be direct. If the
people there were already a true democracy, they have no
need of a group of outsider DD activists to establish Direct
Democracy over them.

November 2001
Sounds better, since it doesn't suggest to bring Democracy
there where DD is already up.
The big problem remains, how to get the "false democracy"
inhabitants into discussing and sharing-in the "true democracy"
requirements? Since its solution should go according with the
First DD Requirement, or Principle: the People's Sovereignty.
A paradox arises: how could we tell the Sovereign how to
govern their realm? Sounds enough, to go there and tell them:
"Take, this is the True DD Constitution - for you to obey" ?
If this doesn't sound enough, what else?