00352: New US Polling on the Iraq War

From: "Ted Becker" <becketl(at)auburn.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:26:13 -0500
Subject: New US Polling on the Iraq War

Since I follow this subject carefully, there has been a steady erosion
of popular support for the Iraq War this year measured by several
different kinds of scientific polling organizations. The latest USA
Today poll, taken last week, showed that support amongst Americans had
dropped to only about 45%. Bush, however, will maintain at least 40%
support of those who answer the polling organizations (a number which
decreases all the time)....because they are the true believers and the
rock bottom base of his constituency. The rest of the country is
adverse to it and growing less and less tolerant of the expenditure in
terms of money, life and image abroad.

Ted Becker

wddm(at)mkolar.org 06/16/05 6:19 AM >>>
"The "Jihad" message has been written just after
911, President's Bush declaration of state of
war and its ratification by involved legislative
bodies. At this time this decision has been
supported by about 92% Americans and opposed
by about 8% social failures of the Fuzzy Bottom
calling themselves Peace Fighters. Fighting for
peace sounding a bit like drinking for sobriety,
I prefer the shorter name "peaceniks"."

Georges,
where have you get those 92%?
From Canada it looked like much less Americans than 92% where
unequivocally
supporting the war. It was unfortunately more than 50%, by I doubt that
much
more than 60%, but I do not have any statistics. But I would say, the
results
of the last US presidential vote is a good indication.
Mirek

P.S. Just for comparison, it seems that right now a large majority of
the
citizens of the Russian Federation also unfortunately support their
government
in the Chechen war. Again, I do not have any statistics, but just from
my
personal observation of my surroundings (I have been recently spending
almost
half of my time in Siberia) it may well be over 80%! There are some
outspoken
critics of the war in the media (heard all over the Russian territory),
which
are probably more courageous than any domestic US critics of the war in
Iraq,
but they seem to find a little resonance in the majority of the
population.