00276: Re: various (lozenge etc.)

From: Giorgio Menon <menon(at)pd.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:24:05 +0200
Subject: Re: various (lozenge etc.)

M. Kolar wrote:

In spite of the superficial cynicism, I can see quite a few little
bits of wisdom in the latest exchange on this list, not only between
you two.
So maybe there is some hope here.
M.

Let's talk about Antisthenes (440-370B.C.) then. He wore no other
garment than a coarse cloak, did not cut his beard, and carried a sack
and staff like a wandering beggar. This was meant as an expression of
opposition* *to the gradually increasing luxury of the age, intending to
bring men back to their original simplicity in life and manners.
Cynicism was an ancient Greek philosophical movement, which held that we
attain happiness and tranquility by denying established conventions.
Known as the "dog philosophers" for living like dogs, Cynics denied
conventional ideas of wealth, reputation, pleasure, property, family,
duty and religion.
Being cynical means being SOB, something that offers nice benefits.
Wisdom included.

Best regards

Giorgio

/The falsification of everything is, as we said, a feature of our age.
What best connotes this, is the falsification of language, that is, the
abuse of some terms alienated from their real meaning, abuse which,
somehow, has been imposed by means of a constant suggestion by all those
who, one way or another, influence the public opinion. And this is not
only a degeneration by which many words have lost their original
qualitative meaning and kept only a completely quantitative one; rather,
it is a 'deviation' by which some words are used for things that are
completely unfit, and sometimes they are totally opposite from what
those words normally mean. This is, first of all, an evident symptom of
the intellectual confusion which dominate everywhere in the present
world./ (R. Guenon)
<http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=religion>**