00078: On the open nature of the WDDF ...

From: Leopoldo Salgui <lsalgui(at)demopunk.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:00:09 +0200
Subject: On the open nature of the WDDF ...

Dear all,
my main concern is about the open nature. I will try to persuade WDDM's
members than the tough membership is not the best solution to problems
happenned in the past.

I would not like to merge WDDF into the WDDM if it implies to lose the open
nature. I will share the administrator privileges with any people, and even
more, I will relinquish them in the future.

Our experience in Spain is our backgrounds. While using forums across big
communities (over 700 members), ban policies or tough membership are
unuseful. Perhaps our horizontal structure is the needed background. There is
no presidents, chairmans nor speakers, because we are not an organization,
otherwise, we are a community. Purely, it works.

The open approach allows anonymous guests posting freely, quarrels are usually
only smoke. The open approach allows members vary easily their involvement
level and even we can give up the project without harmful side-effects.

Above behavior is not a mere caprice. A democracy forum has to offer a sincere
participative image. It is no possible to promote DD and other Political
Freedoms from a close or hierarchical group. Therefore, our communities has
to have the same behavior than we are promoting. In this sense, forums has
other significant tool: polling resources available for forum members.

Of course, during these years there have been angry quarrels in the
AnotherDem's forum. My feeling is quarrels in a mail list affect everybody
because you receive all mail and have to read all contents, including the
quarrels. In a forum you can ignore them.

Summing up, in AnotherDem we have no any ban policies except for ads, even
off-topics are moved to a "rag bag".

Our backgrounds demonstrate to set up tough rules or policies are harmful in
the medium-term. The unique useful rules are known procedures for initiative
for polling, i.e. who and how could set up voting process.

Please, consider use the forum with the most open tool of the WDDM. Perhaps,
it could be the biggest experiment of the WDDM.

Regards, Leo