02941: RE: Summer Academy and Latest News

From: Ted Becker <BECKETL(at)auburn.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 00:54:06 +0000
Subject: RE: Summer Academy and Latest News

Sounds good, Cora.  Ted

From: WDDM webmaster [wbm@world-wide-democracy.net]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 7:31 PM
To: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net
Subject: Fwd: Summer Academy and Latest News

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Summer Academy and Latest News
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:36:43 +0200
From: Cora Pfafferott, Democracy International <pfafferott(at)democracy-international.org>
To: Kolar Mirek <wbm@world-wide-democracy.net>

Newsletter
http://www.democracy-international.org

Dear members and friends of Democracy International,
Our Summer Academy 2012 is going ahead in the Bulgarian city of Burgas from 13 – 15 July 2012. Our three-day conference offers the unique opportunity to explore the state of (direct) democracy 21 years after adoption of Bulgaria’s democratic constitution and to see how direct democracy works in the Black Sea region of Burgas. 30 people have already registered. This is our final call. If you want to participate, please register immediately. You will find further information and a registration form at
http://www.democracy-international.org/2012-summer-academy.html

Also, I am delighted to introduce myself to you as a new staff member of Democracy International.  Today is my fifth day in the office, and I am glad to send to you a newsletter already. Before coming to Cologne I was a speechwriter with the European Commission in Brussels, and also I spent three years in Dublin where I worked on communicating the Lisbon Treaty in the context of the Irish referendum. At Democracy International I will develop our press and media activities, meaning you will receive more regularly our newsletter from now on. Please contact me if you have any idea for content or if you wish to give your feedback. I will be happy to hear from you and to get to know you.

All the best,
Cora Pfafferott

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Content:
1.    Airport Munich: citizens against third runway
2.    Parliament of Hamburg for more transparency preempting citizens’ direct decision
3.    „Europeans for Fair Roaming!": an example of a successful citizens’ campaign
4.    Buggy ECI software: Concession by the Commission
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
1.    Airport Munich: citizens against third runway
On Sunday 17 June one third of Munich’s residents participated in the decision whether a third runway should be built at the airport of Bavaria’s capital. According to the preliminary final result 54,3 % opposed the infrastructure project while 45,7% voted in favour.
http://www.democracy-international.org/airport-munich-referendum.html

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
2.    Parliament of Hamburg opts for more transparency preempting citizens’ direct decision
Following an initiative by citizens and political parties, the parliament of Hamburg voted in favour of a proposal for more transparency on 13 June 2012, meaning more open and accessible information on Hamburg’s legislation and administration.
http://www.democracy-international.org/hamburg-transparency.html

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
3.    „Europeans for Fair Roaming!”: an example of a successful citizens’ campaign
The pan-European campaign "Europeans for Fair Roaming" was founded in 2010 to call on all EU institutions to finally put an end to unfair roaming prices. The campaign’s goal is to make mobile phone roaming across Europe as cheap as domestic phone calls.
http://www.democracy-international.org/fair-roaming-europe.html

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
4.    ECI - problems with online collection tool - concession by the Commission
Message by Gerald Häfner, Member of European Parliament, concerning the software of the European Citizens' Initiative: “Dear friends, a couple of European Citizens' Initiatives detected serious problems with the open source software for online signature gathering developed by the European Commission”.
http://www.democracy-international.org/eci-software.html

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Cora Pfafferott

Democracy International

Impressum/Imprint

+49 (0) 2203 102 14 75
+49 (0) 2203 59 28 62 (Fax)
pfafferott(at)democracy-international.org
Friedrich-Ebert-Ufer 52
Koeln, 51143
Germany
Democracy International ist ein eingetragener Verein.
Amtsgericht Köln: VR-Nr. 17139