02667: Re: [WDDM] Democracy axioms

From: Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin(at)pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:21:41 -0700
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Democracy axioms

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:09:26AM -0500, Joshua Petersen wrote:
The problem, in my opinion, with doing issues by a poll or by signatures is
that it raises the possibility for citizens to be swamped by many
legislative actions at once, not to mention it often limits the number of
people who can show support for it. I think in this, we can take a wonderful
democratic notion from internet sites like youtube and diggit: the "Vote up"
option. If there's a limit on the number of legislative actions that have to
be voted on at any given time (of course this number is alterable by vote of
the people), and there is a single location/forum/etc for government
legislation, then people can go and 'vote up' what they view as important
issues. Of the submitted issues, the top (however many the people have
decided on) will go to be voted on. If the ability to also 'vote down' an
idea is available, then the process has many of the advantages of both a
poll and a survey, and few of the disadvantages, while being even more
democratic in many ways.

Self-selected opinion polls are vastly inferior to randomly selected
opinion polls.