02492: Re: [WDDM] Democracy - Glossary - Referendum

From: Joseph Hammer <parrhesiajoe(at)gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:30:56 -0800
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Democracy - Glossary - Referendum

Wouldn't the humble position be something like...

"I don't know what the prerequisites for genuine democracy are"

If dear, sweet democracy on predicated on mankind's humility, then it may forever out of our reach. 'Tis the rarest of the virtues.

And into the ranks of direct democracy and representative democracy, we see a new contender, genuine democracy... not to be confused with Genuwine Democracy, where the one with the smoothest voice calls the shots.

Free snarkiness...
Parrhesia

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:52 AM, <Antonio Rossin> wrote:
Bruce,

there is something called "culture" which should be shared by
both (informed) parents and eligible voters and which, in your
words, you are still lacking of.

This sort of culture, together with humility, is a pre-requisite of
genuine democracy, IMHO.

Regards,

antonio

Bruce Eggum ha scritto:
Dear Doug, What does informed parenting have to do with determining the choice [vote] of eligible voters? Certainly antonio's program is good for parenting and develops the child's ability to make their own choice.
But it does not determine what the choice is of the voter is. There are many issues which do not resolve to 100 % agreement. Thus we need democratic elections. [referendum]

Bruce Eggum

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM, <Doug Everingham> wrote:
Referendums, like majority votes at elections, are still imperfect as a consensus development.
In feudalism it's our count that votes; in referendums it's our votes that count –
in more equitable consensus regimes we need more reliable safeguards
like the informed parenting and other mature parent-like reciprocal relationships
fostered by cooperative family growth in our first 3 years of life, as advocated by Antonio Rossin.
====

On 10/12/2009, at 5:14 PM, Bruce Eggum wrote:

Hi All,

The following is my opinion for your consideration:

Democracy is rule by the people.

Representative democracy perverted it even though RD was “called” democracy.

We now refer to “direct democracy” as the people ruling, having final say.

This is why we need a Glossary to define terms we use for WDDM community.

We must establish the tools necessary to conduct a World Referendum so we can have a “democratic world”.

Now as to Antonio's constant objections, the people of each community have the power if they choose to use it and if they have demanded that they have this power. This power was established in the Magna Carta [IE] The power to petition the government.

The only power necessary for democracy, direct democracy, pure democracy or any democraacy is REFERENDUM.

If the people have the power of Referendum, they control everything. It they do not have the power of Referendum, they control nothing. This works in all community's, town, county, state, national, world. Each must have their own referendum.

At least that is my opinion.

Sincerely Bruce

Bruce Eggum
Gresham Wisconsin, USA