02436: Re: [WDDM] Agree or Disagree

From: Antonio Rossin <rossin(at)tin.it>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:09:14 +0100
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Agree or Disagree

Hi Wingsprd,

just the reverse:

*If people** mature into * *grownup citizens, **they ****will ultimately**
(realize that they) have the power to make decisions, make
mistakes, learn from their mistakes, and then correct them**.
Otherwise, we live in our parent's house forever.*

*
That is exactly the point of DD.
*

**
Regards,

antonio

wingsprd ha scritto:

*Hamid, *

* *

*That is exactly the point of DD. If people have the power to make
decisions, make mistakes, *

*learn from their mistakes, and then correct them, they will
ultimately mature into *

*grownup citizens. Otherwise, we live in our parent's house forever. *

* *

*B. T. Marking*

*www.sdindie21.org*

* *

From: parrhesiajoe(at)gmail.com
To: wddm@world-wide-democracy.net
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 19:31:02 -0800

Good point. The removal of bad laws has proven tricky throughout history.

What is a bad law? Should they be judged by their intentions or their
outcomes?

Or, does a law become “good” if it is supported by a majority of the
people, or their representatives?

If a people are unjust or immoral, should a democracy allow them to
design an unjust or immoral social structure?

For example, if 90% of the people in Seattle want to outlaw outdoor
advertising… billboards, etcetera… is it a good law? It violates
property rights, but those rights are DEFINED by the public in
general. Certainly, other building codes already allow the liberty of
an owner to be superseded by will of the public. If 90% of the people
want to outlaw Muslim churches, should that be allowed? Please, take
into account that this is already the case. Our representatives can
effectively change any part of the constitution if they think it will
gain them votes, and 90% means a politician would be suicidal not to
take up the call. (Honorable, but politically, a loser).

So…

Should good law based on a defined set of virtues (if so, then who
defines the set), or should it be based on the public will? Or both?
Or neither? Or something else? Be very specific.

Parrhesia

P.S.

Our current system makes it very possible for our prejudices to work
their way into law. As long as the people do not clamor for limits to
government power, the representatives tend to give them what they
want. Even when the public is 40% in favor of something, the
government will latch onto it if it increases their scope and power
(Health Care Bill, $700 Billion Bailout). When the people are highly
in favor of a measure that limits power, however, the government is
less responsive. For example, term limits for congress have had over
50% public support for over half of the last 100 years, and no
congress has ever acted on it.