02400: Re: GlobalDemo.org now ready...

From: Antonio Rossin <rossin(at)tin.it>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:52:47 +0100
Subject: Re: GlobalDemo.org now ready...

Hi

it looks like all DD lovers volunteers and activists are
going to set-up a DD web site and a DD Charter each
(myself excluded )

antonio

James Sadri ha scritto:
Hello friends,

After much work (all voluntary) from many people we have finally
arrived at a website that we think serves as a platform for the
various people/groups who make up the global
democracy/mundialist/world citizen movement.

There will undoubtedly be problems with the site - which is why we are
launching it to this list first - but please use the 'feedback' tab on
the right hand side to help us improve it with your bug reports and
suggestions. There is a little users guide that we're drawing up for
the site, but for the moment let's try and test how
intuitive/confusing it is.

Almost everything in the site is editable by the community (that means
you!) so if you're not happy with a particular section - change it!
Just click on the 'edit' tab at the top of the post. Don't worry
though, previous revisions are automatically stored so you can't
delete things by mistake.

We're thinking of hiring some professional designers to add the
finishing touches to the site, but for now it would be great to get
some feedback on how it works and what features you like or not.

Check it out: GlobalDemo.org <http://GlobalDemo.org>

_About the site_

*Local/Global*

The site has been structured to encourage local/national activity
while also being global at the same time. This is because we believe
that although we're dealing with global issues, local/national action
is critical to getting things done.

So on your 'country page', for example, there is a forum which shows
posts from all over the world which you can add to. You can however
limit it to posts from your country only.

Similarly, on country pages there is a sidebar with information about
local groups, politicians, etc and their positions regarding global
democracy.

*Events*

You can view events from your country or elsewhere on your country
page, where you can also add you own events.

*Organisations*

However, there is also an 'organisations' page which lists global
organisations and initiatives. You can identify yourself as a
supporter of a particular initiative or organisation and the popular
ones are listed on the right.

*Library*

The 'library' is somewhere where you can read/watch articles and films
about global democracy and discuss them in the comments. You can also
recommend library items and again popular items will be shown on the
right. The library can be restricted by language too.

*Member profiles*

As a result of feedback, we made member profiles quite sophisticated
so we can learn more about each other. Each user has a listing of
recommended books and organisations they support as well as a
'real-life network' where they can show which people on the site they
have actually met.

*Languages*

We have setup the site to be fully translatable, with the official
source language being English. We've got a way to go with translation
- so far German is the only language with near complete. We need your
help. If you could help translating the site (the text on buttons etc)
into other languages please get in touch at
translations(at)globaldemo.org .
Translators have a little web interface so they can translate the site
while they surf.

*Who are we?*

The GlobalDemo.org webteam is a group of volunteers. Details are here
http://globaldemo.org/en/about . We'd love anyone and everyone to
join, so get in touch if you'd like to help out.

*Finally...*

Thank you to everyone who has helped out along the way (so far).
Everyone is always busy with other projects so I think we should
celebrate the fact that we managed to come together and achieve this
neutral platform for the movement.

Thanks to: Alan, Bruce, Chris, Didier, Filip, Fred, Josep, Ken,
Mikael, Rob, Rasmus, Ryan, Rufo, Shimri, Tabs and everyone else who
has contributed at one time or another.

Cheers,

GlobalDemo.org Webgroup