02299: Re: [WDDM] Lata's Recent Comments

From: Fred Gohlke <fredgohlke(at)verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:09:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [WDDM] Lata's Recent Comments

Good Morning, Bruce

The notion that 'the people' can meet in assembly and conduct our
government is flawed. The people, taken as a group, are easily
manipulated ... as was shown when the majority of Americans were
persuaded that Saddam Hussein had Weapons of Mass Destruction and was a
threat to our country.

This is but the most outrageous example of our susceptibility to the
deceit that permeates our society. We are inundated with examples of
it, daily, from the outrages perpetrated by the financiers (and
underwritten at the people's expense by their government) to the
pharmaceutical company that implements its government-ordered retraction
of its false and misleading advertising with ads that are even more
deceptive than those they were ordered to disavow.

Although there are, among us, people who are not susceptible to this
onslaught of hyperbole and deceit, they are in the minority. We need
their thoughtful guidance.

re: "We can make these decisions as an Assembly and than command
our 'elected representatives' to carry out our commands."

Perhaps you have an infantile need to control. I don't. While you
focus on 'command', my thoughts are on gaining consensus.

re: "... You want us to do the representatives bidding. Back to
the King and his men commanding the slaves."

This is a foolish and unwarranted misstatement of my suggestion. If you
wish to cite my objectives, please do so accurately.

Your suggestion that I delete one of my statements is improper. It is,
however, an excellent example of why your attitude is immature and
unhealthy. If you wish to refute an assertion, propound a better one.

My preference is that we discontinue this exchange. Our views are so
discordant, reconciling them is unlikely.

Fred Gohlke