02087: Conservatives, Liberals and their morals

From: Bruce Eggum <bruce.eggum(at)gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 18:07:05 -0500
Subject: Conservatives, Liberals and their morals

Conservatives Live in a Different Moral Universe -- And Here's Why It Matters

Great article! This is why there will always be factions, and party’s even if they are unnamed.

http://tinyurl.com/dj4dwq

By Tom Jacobs, Miller-McCune.com. Posted April 25, 2009.

Liberals and conservatives have highly different moral priorities. And we have to understand them if we want to accomplish anything.

On page 5 are listed his websites with tools to evaluate yourself.

In his quest to "help people overcome morally motivated misunderstandings," Haidt has set up a couple of Web sites, www.civilpolitics.org and www.yourmorals.org. At the latter, you can take a quiz that will locate you on his moral map. For fun, you can also answer the questions you think the way your political opposite would respond. Haidt had both liberals and conservatives do just that in the laboratory, and the results are sobering for those on the left: Conservatives understood them a lot better than they understood conservatives.

"Liberals tend to have a very optimistic view of human nature," he says. "They tend to be uncomfortable about punishment -- of their own children, of criminals, anyone. I do believe that if liberals ran the whole world, it would fall apart. But if conservatives ran the whole world, it would be so restrictive and uncreative that it would be rather unpleasant, too."

Bruce Eggum
Gresham Wisconsin, USA
http://www.doinggovernment.com/
Check out my Blog too